My reverse offset smoker build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't shoot the messenger, a scientific study carried out in Canada only confirmed what had been suspected for a few years now.
50% of males WILL get cancer, chances of getting cancer, drinking alcohol 4 times greater than someone who doesn't drink, tobacco smoking 8 times greater than someone who doesn't smoke, consuming smoked meat or any meat or fish cooked over an open flame 9 times greater. Still a great build Hairy Camel, as longer as the new owner uses it sparingly hopefully he will be fine. :)

wide eyed and legless said:
Don't shoot the messenger, a scientific study carried out in Canada only confirmed what had been suspected for a few years now.
50% of males WILL get cancer, chances of getting cancer, drinking alcohol 4 times greater than someone who doesn't drink, tobacco smoking 8 times greater than someone who doesn't smoke, consuming smoked meat or any meat or fish cooked over an open flame 9 times greater. Still a great build Hairy Camel, as longer as the new owner uses it sparingly hopefully he will be fine. :)
Well we all end up dying. I guess I will be enjoying some smoked BBQ meats and a few beers as I slowly die

Much as I hate to derail the thread with science...

That 50% of males will get cancer is true... But misleading. Of that 50%, a large percentage of that will be non malignant skin carcenoma, another large percentage will be slow growing prostate cancer (the sort you die with not because of) and so on. While cancer s still a major cause of death, it's no where near 50%.

As for the smoked meat thing, the sort of gastric cancer that it makes you more likely to get is not that common. I don't have the figures handy but it's in the region of 1 in 100000. So a 10x risk is 10 in 100000 or 1 in 10000. Thems still pretty good odds. Even in heavy smokers, it's the other complications of smoking that kill the majority not lung cancer. Yes the incidence is much, much greater but it's still in the 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 range.

This is the difference between relative and absolute risk. Something the media, in search of a good scare story, doesn't point out.

BTW - Awesome smoker. It must have been a pretty great keg system to make you part with it.

All good guys the last thing I need to worry about is cancer
I work with asbestos and treated timber

Hairy camel said:
All good guys the last thing I need to worry about is cancer
I work with asbestos and treated timber
You will be right, Of you dont get cancer from either of those 2 , then you never will :lol:

Did you even get to use it once before you parted ways???

Not sure I could put all that effort in and not even have a go once.... Looked bloody awesome!

Matplat said:
Did you even get to use it once before you parted ways???

Not sure I could put all that effort in and not even have a go once.... Looked bloody awesome!
No he made a offer while it was being built....I'm going to start another one this weekend
I know what mistakes I made and this one will be a lot better

Hairy camel said:
No he made a offer while it was being built....I'm going to start another one this weekend
I know what mistakes I made and this one will be a lot better
Create a new thread for the new build..... that way I won't have to dig through posts to avoid mistakes ......

Thank God. I felt ripped off following this thread and not seeing the money (cooked food) shot

Latest posts

Back