Offset Reverse-Flow Barrel Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

of mice and gods

Reaction score
So, in the interest of having even more crap to move when our lease runs out.. I'm going to build one of these

offset-smoker-grill-2-640.jpg

Except nowhere near as professional looking because I'm using cleaning 40 gal barrels and my welding sucks.

I've done my research and got my design all sorted, the firebox is cut and ready for welding, the cooking chamber barrels are waiting collection.. and in another month or two I might get off my ass and get this thing going.

Anyone else built one of these or have any comments/opinions?

Insulation is what's stopped me doing it. You need to keep the heat in.

Punkin,

I did think about that, which is why i decided to go reverse flow where the smoke goes along the bottom of the cooking chamber under a metal plate and exits on the non-firebox end, then the smoke travels back across the cooking chamber to the vent which is on the firebox end. I was thinking of also using some pavers under the plate to add some thermal mass.

I was hoping these little modifications would negate the need to insulate the chamber and any adjustments could be made in the firebox and with the adjusting of baffles.

What do you think?

Al

Sqyre built an absolute ball tearer. His isnt insulated and works great.

I checked it all out pretty well as i have this i got for nought in my back yard still.

I couldn't find an economical way to utilise it after reading up and finding that insulation and sealing the gaps was required for efficiency.
I'm sure you've done your reading and read the same stuff, it's your choice if you want to go ahead with it.

Seems to me that's why the yanks tend to go with big propane tanks or custom rolled pate. Just for the sheer mass so they can get the insulating benefits of it.

stainlessmoker1.jpg

stainlessmoker2.jpg

there's a thread somewhere here about smokers, you'll see the different types, there's also a aussiebbq forum that has some great info as well.

of mice and gods said:
So, in the interest of having even more crap to move when our lease runs out.. I'm going to build one of these

offset-smoker-grill-2-640.jpg

Except nowhere near as professional looking because I'm using cleaning 40 gal barrels and my welding sucks.

I've done my research and got my design all sorted, the firebox is cut and ready for welding, the cooking chamber barrels are waiting collection.. and in another month or two I might get off my ass and get this thing going.

Anyone else built one of these or have any comments/opinions?
Barbeques Galore sell these $399,saves a lot of agro welding :lol:

Outhouse.jpg

My brother-in-law's smokehouse is one of these. He just moved it to solid ground. ;)

ash2 said:
Barbeques Galore sell these $399,saves a lot of agro welding :lol:
Looking at the web pictures it seems to have;
No reverse flow
No insulation
Light gauge steel that will rust out

I'd have to go and look ta one in the flesh, but it doesn't seem to match a homebuilt one in any way except superficial appearance.

Old hot water system tanks make excellent smoker/ovens. Nice and cheap, solid and come in different sizes.

Latest posts

Back