My New Micro Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Well I have done a couple of brews already but this is it. I love it. And thanks to Mark's Homebrew for all your help in getting this puppy up and running.
Had a big day today, started with a Vienna Lager and finished of with a Doppelbock with a OG of 1.084. Love it. As you can see I did it pretty tough during the 3 hour boil for the Bock, with the BBQ just out of picture and lots of swim's, it beats the crap out of working.
Anyway a big thanks to all u blokes who endured my endless questions back 3 years ago when I got my first Coopers kit. Humble beginings have grown into this. Thanks fellas. ;)

Steve

DSC00010.JPG

I love the look of your mash tun - what did you use to insulate it?

Andy

G'day Steve,

Looks great, well done mate!!! :super:

What is the boiler sitting on?

Cheers,
Jase

Looks great SJW - top work mate :super:

cheers Ross

Top work Steve, looks a million dollars, what did you use for the jacketing on the mash tun?

Cheers
Andrew

Lookin good steve!! :super:

Yeh that insulation does look pretty smick...almost looks like you have dipped the kegs in rubber... :eek:

Sqyre... ;)

Brewing by the pool far out life must be hard!

Setup looks A1 !

Great work Steve,
Nothing like building a nice looking brewery like that huh. I like the way you have hung your march pump. I never even considered doing it like that. I also like your plumbing, nice and simple and to the point. THe only thing I could suggest to add that is very handy is a section of clear tube or pipe close to the pump, coming from your mash tun so you can see clearly when your tun is run dry or you have a stuck sparge and are running the pump dry not too important when you have a darkish beer, but great with the lighter ones.

cheers

Browndog

Sweet setup, good to know that someone from newcastle has a great setup. I am also a Marks HB all grainer however my setup is very manual still. How much do you reckon that setup would be worth? Hope to get along to a HAG's day soon, would be great to meet you and talk about your setup, I've been wanting to ungrade for a while now...
Lee

If I ever go March Pump thats the set up I will use. Looks sensational!!! Great job

Cheers, JJ :beerbang:

How much do you reckon that setup would be worth?

I'd say quite a bit - especially if the owners of the kegs come looking :ph34r:
.... at least airbrush out the owners stamps in your pic....

Niice setup though

Asher

Lookin good steve!! :super:

Yeh that insulation does look pretty smick...almost looks like you have dipped the kegs in rubber... :eek:

Sqyre... ;)
"HELLFIRE BREWERY" oops (no shouting aloud, no more) :huh:

Very nice! Plumbing is clean, elegant and so simple even I can follow it. Nice multicultural keg selection too

Thanks fellas, I have done some airbrush work now! :unsure:
I love the look of your mash tun - what did you use to insulate it?

Andy
I used 15mm Aeroflex. Its like that rubber camp mat stuff only cost $50 to do the keg! Also the insulation on the HLT is just a $6 camp matt ;)

What is the boiler sitting on?

Cheers,
Jase

The keg is sitting on my burner with another cut down keg for a heat sheild.

THe only thing I could suggest to add that is very handy is a section of clear tube or pipe close to the pump, coming from your mash tun so you can see clearly when your tun is run dry or you have a stuck sparge and are running the pump dry not too important when you have a darkish beer, but great with the lighter ones.

cheers

Browndog

U may not be able to see it but the is clear tube either side of the pump. Its a nice little trick.

How much do you reckon that setup would be worth? Hope to get along to a HAG's day soon, would be great to meet you and talk about your setup, I've been wanting to ungrade for a while now...
Lee
I have built it up over a long time. There would have to be a couple of grand I guess. Steel for table $100, to get welded up $100, Wheels $80, march pump $200?, false bottom in Mash tun $50, valves & fittings $100 at least, insulation + tape $100, tiles + rubber for table top + adhesives $50, so thats about a grand so with the imersion chiller and other bits would be close to $2000. But I picked up a lot of stuff second hand and cheap like my mill for $30, but thats where all the fun was.
If I was starting again and new what I know now I would consider buying one of those shinny new all in one computer controlled German brewerys that Mark has in his shop for $4000.
I guess I got most of my insperation from Pumpy setup. I had the picture of his brewery on my wall at work for over 12 months while I was building this. But it only needs to be simple. I recon with having all Pope garden quick connects I only needed one inlet and one outlet but this looks better anyway.
I will post some more photos later
Thanks boys.

Steve

G'day Steve,

Looks great, well done mate!!!

Franko

Looks awesome SJW - but I'm not so sure about the vertical pump though.

I remember reading some discussion about this a couple of years back, and the consensus was that they should be mounted with the shaft horizontal, as that's the way the bearings and lubrication are designed to operate.

It might be worth checking with the manufacturer - otherwise I'd be tempted to keep it horizontal rather than risk any damage.

sjw very nice and simple as well i like the cold water tank behind for chilln' wort ;)

del

Back