My New Micro Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great.
I am building a similar system right now - and its not too late to borrow some of your good ideas.
Some questions though:
1/ The "Areoflex" ( I imagine you mean Aeroflex?) I can only find on the net as tubing for pipe insulation. Is yours a sheet, or have you somehow put tubing together? If a sheet, I presume there is a seam on the side of the tun not visible in the photo. If so, how is the seem joined? In other words, what exactly is it, where did you get it, and how did you construct it?
2/ Did you build that site tube from scratch or are the components from a brew shop and intended as a site glass? If from scratch, please tell me how and from what it is constructed - it also looks very good.

Fab job mate. Enjoy.

1/ The "Areoflex" ( I imagine you mean Aeroflex?) I can only find on the net as tubing for pipe insulation. Is yours a sheet, or have you somehow put tubing together? If a sheet, I presume there is a seam on the side of the tun not visible in the photo. If so, how is the seem joined? In other words, what exactly is it, where did you get it, and how did you construct it?
I got the Aeroflex from Davis and Spence in Newcastle. They are an electrical wholesaler/retailer. Basically its just 15mm thick insulation foam rubber stuff. I got it in a sheet approx 900x1200 and just wraped
it around the keg and trimmed to suit and used a wide, black electrical tape, about 50mm thick, and just went nuts with that.
2/ Did you build that site tube from scratch or are the components from a brew shop and intended as a site glass? If from scratch, please tell me how and from what it is constructed - it also looks very good.
The site tube is just a s/s tee coming out of the keg with a bit of Perspex tube attached to the top with one of those Olive and sleeve connection the plumbers use to connect water pipe to a thread the I just have my valve at the other end of the tee, with various male & female thread connectors where required. Its very simple.

Looks the goods.Looking forward to more reports on the beer that you and the brewery make.
BTW has Mark posted a pic yet of the 4g rig.

Cheers
Big D

I don't think so but its one nice unit. He has one in his shop at the moment otherwise I am sure if u e-mailed him he would send u a photo and the spec's

I used Aeroflex as well, I'm about to bring it into stock, it's great stuff.

Brilliant job SJW. You've simplified the whole plumbing concept for those newbies amongst us (ie. me).

Do you have any shots of the internals of your mash tun? Just interested to see where the water return goes. Are you fly or batch sparging?

Cheers and well done.

I am in the process of getting some internal photos that I will post.
As for sparging I do a mash out and one batch sparge. As I found out with one pump you can't run off into the boiler and fly sparge at the same time. But I still get 75% eff. with the batch sparge and it is quicker.

Steve

Back