My Neighbour Has Chickens

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
My neighbour has three chickens and tomorrow I'll have 9kgs of spent grain on offer.

Is that too much grain to give three chooks?

My neighbour just asked me about the wet grain and will she need to dry it out. I said I'll ask my friends on AHB :D .

I usually chuck the spent grain back into the plastic bag it comes in. Will this be ok to give her?

Cheers
Bowie

edit: 2 x bags of 4.5kgs

Chuck it over wet, no issues. My three chooks used to devour as much grain as I could give them. Bear in mind if they don't eat it all it will start to smell after a couple of days.

Cheers

I only have 2 chooks - until recently only 1. 5kg (dry weight) of wet grain (make sure it's cooled down a bit) and chooks happy.

They love it, although it will make them 'spray the crops' so to speak.

No probs ...... don't be concerned if it goes rotten as they will dig it into the ground.

Hope you are getting some eggs in return - or at least the rights to dig worms in the chook house for your fishing trips !!!

Cheers

I used to have 4 chooks, and would chuck up to 10kg (dry weight) worth of spent grain in there. Make sure it is cool, in the middle, the outside can feel cool but the inside stuff is boiling. They will dig it around so never had issues with bad smells. If she wants to store it for later she would need to dry it otherwise it stinks really quick. I would not use it for a long term main feed as someones already used all the good stuff from it. :p

QldKev

I have 4 chooks, although they are bantams so that really only counts as 2 'real chooks'! Half my grain goes to them, they seem to prefer it hot. The other half goes into whatever veggie garden is being rested and the worms.. :blink: ..wow they are big! Heaps of them too, with plenty finding their way onto a hook!

They'll love it and will get through the lot in a day or two at most. My 4 are fiends for a warm grain mash...

we have geese, choox, runner ducks, harlequins and a family of wood ducks, they'll all walk over their mum to get at the grain, if you chuck it over hot, just try to spread it out a bit.

I just chuck it around the base of the orange tree and they have a crack at it,i read somewhere it is pretty poor nutritionally but as the odd treat not a problem.

Not that you need any more convincing... but my 2 fine feathered friends love the spent grain!
If you give them enough you may even be able to label the eggs as free range amber eggs.

Grain does get a bit funky on the nose if there is too much at once.
suggested chook:spent grain ratio of 1:2kg

I too feed the worms in the vegie patch with the remainder.

:) Thanks for the replies!

They only just got the chooks recently, and went away for a few days last week, so they said we could help ourselves to the eggs. To return the compliment today I went around with a couple of my brews and explained to the lady (husband is away at the moment) that I make beer and have plenty of grain for her chooks. She was pretty confused so I had to let her know about all grain brewing, chooks loving spent grain, etc :D

Got an address might pop around with a beer for her while hubby's away as well...............

"Victa mowers are so powerful, you'll even have time to cut your neighbour's grass" :lol:

I wonder if he explained to her what happens when a bottle blows............may have just given her a good sparging instead.

Latest posts

Back