My First Partial Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
taht monk will try toi get you to expermient he got me into fwh so soon i wil tell if it is any good

Tried my first bottle of this one last night.

The part-mash gives such better .... umm - should I say ..... the beer has a very good head on it - much better than any of my extract based brews. Beautifully tight and no trace of large bubbles in it. Lasted till the bottom of the glass, lacing the sides all the way.

The aroma is not as cascade as I would have liked, will throw more in for the last few minutes next time. (Would this also be a result of my yeast choice? perhaps one of the american ale yeasts will accentuate the hops over the malt?)

Beautiful taste - more malt than hop flavour, but a strong bitterness to back it up. When I was at the LCPA brewery the other day I noticed they used Joe White, so I'll use that next time.

I had a James Squire IPA the other day, and I feel that mine was more bitter than that for reference - and it tasted better :D The wife thought it was too bitter but enjoyed the taste - said it was easily the best beer so far.

So - I reckon part mash is definitely worth the effort. Shame I won't really be able to do another for a while with this weather. :(

gday boots
give dry hopping a go.chuck heaps into your secondary.
its the way to go.

cheers
big d

Hi Big d
I dry hopped with 2 plugs of Cascade - soaked in just boiled water for a few minutes.

Next time I'll use 4 B)

I've *personally* found dry hopping with pellets to give *much* more hop aroma than plugs. However, I've found plugs give better hop flavour than pellets.

I now use plugs/pellets for bittering, plugs for flavouring, and pellets for aroma.

Just me though :)

yes boots i agree mashing is the better to go and since mty first mash i dont go back and next year im going all grain

yep your first part mash is such a eye opener.

i wonder what joe white malt they use at L.C the joe white traditional is very new and i have heard it was created for the home craft brewer market and micro brewery market but i wonder if they use the joe white export pilsner.

anyway i also did here from a L.C bar tender that they use joe white.

the export pilsner i heard from the happy monastry dwelling guy that export pils is made to the hieniken specs which is considered by all lager breweries to be the standard and best lager malt specs.

anyway there is no turning back now boots.
cheers jayse

Latest posts

Back