My First Lager....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandreas

Reaction score
I have put down my very first lager 2 days ago and have a question regarding the way this yeast is supposed to behave.

My reading suggests that whereas an ale yeast is a top fermenting yeast, lager yeasts are bottom fermenting... Should therefore a lager yeast still develop a krausen on top??

I have used a Coopers Bavarian Lager kit with a kilo of LDME, hallertau and tettnang hops for aroma. OG 1047. The brew is fermenting at about 12 degrees. Yeast pitched at 18 degrees. There is a krausen on top of the brew about one and a half inches thick.

Also, I have now controlled the temperature by placing the fermenter in a fridge, but for the first 36 hours or so the temperature fluctuated between 12 degrees and 16 degrees. Will this have caused the yeast to impart undesirable flavours even though I have now corrected the temperature problem??

Thanks for any advice!

Yes your lager will still develop krausen on top and no i dont think those temperatures will hurt your brew at all. The Coopers Bavarian lager is meant to be a real nice kit so let us know how it goes.

eddy

What yeast did you use?
I don't think the sachet under the cap is a lager yeast. But maybe they have started putting one in, comments anyone?

I don't think the sachet under the cap is a lager yeast. But maybe they have started putting one in, comments anyone?

Yes its a lager yeast (not that I have ever brewed one). I did a partial a while ago so was reading the labels.

BTW Vlad, your spot the difference post took about 5 years off my life span today. ******* :p

Latest posts

Back