My First Draught Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mclovin

Reaction score
Need some one to point me in the right direction,

After hooking up my post mix kegs kegfridge and Co2 cylinder set to 350 Kpa (As instructed by HBS bloke). Placed the keg in the fridge set the T/stat to around 0-1 'C. The keg was set at 350 Kpa for 2 days for carbonation. Poured a beer today at serving pressure of 70 Kpa and found the following.
beer_018.jpg

What did i do wrong?

3 possibilities:

1. over-gassed - you may need to turn off the gas, and release the pressure valve every few hours until the carb level comes back down
2. your beer line is not the correct length - there are several threads around this forum that tell you how to set this up, your LHBS hould have done this though...
3. you poured one beer and took the pic - you may need to run a couple of glasses off at the start of a keg

let us know how you get on :icon_cheers:

Hahahaha... I've been there.

hughman666 summed it up very well.

350kpa is also WAY to much. You will overcarbonate your beer you get shit loads of head and flat beer, as pictured.

The pic was of the best beer i could pour!

Your beer is overcarbonated. Follow step 1 of hughman's post.

Be a sport and help me out! What pressure? What temperature? and how long to leave it?

Be a sport and help me out! What pressure? What temperature? and how long to leave it?

0-1oC is a cracking temp if it's acurate. Depends where you have the sensor. If it's not in a thermal well, that it could be BS. My sensor is in a sealed copper tube that is submerged in a water bottle... Reading is dead acurate.

What is your set-up? Font, taps through door or gun?

Ideally you want 2.5m of 4mm line or 3m of 5-6mm line.

I was force carbonating at no higher than 300kpa and still had the odd overcarbonated brew. I found connecting a gas line rocking the **** out of it at 300kpa for 2 minutes is best. Pouring pressure is around 70-100kpa.

If this doesn't work... You will need to enrol yourself down at the local pub on 'Pouring Beers 101'

Dicko

I have used the above info the opposite way to degass a keg, I shook the keg and every now and then opened the preassure release valve until gas stopped flowing, did this a few times in a row.
I had exactly the same prob with an overgassed keg and by following this method of degassing, I was drinking it that night.

Thanks for the info guys

My beer hose is only 1.2 meter long from keg to fridge door tap. My line is 6mm diameter.

I will get some more line and make it longer.

and try reading the wiki on "how to balance a keg/draught system", that will sort you out.

Back