My First Beer Cider?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
hi, all .
put down a morgans canadian light 2 weeks ago using a kg of maltodextrin as per recipe card incl the kit yeast
i noticed it kept bubbling even after fg of 1009 reached after 2 consecutive reads at approx 10 days.
i was very thorough with my sterilizing and cleaning (starsan etc.). no noticeable scum or frothing in fermenter
i filtered and carbed yesterday and tried it today but it has a very cidery smell to it, colour is perfect, the only thing is my brew may have got to the 30 degree mark on day 3. as we had stormy weather hanging around, i have had this happen with other brews but did not affect these at all.
i'm gonna leave it a week and taste it again
any thoughts as to why this happened with this brew and not my others?

You really must get temperature control for your fermenter. Yeast does not like constant temperature fluctuations. Fix that and you will get much more consistent results.

Plenty of posts on AHB on how to set up temp control.

hi, all .
put down a morgans canadian light 2 weeks ago using a kg of maltodextrin as per recipe card incl the kit yeast
i noticed it kept bubbling even after fg of 1009 reached after 2 consecutive reads at approx 10 days.
i was very thorough with my sterilizing and cleaning (starsan etc.). no noticeable scum or frothing in fermenter
i filtered and carbed yesterday and tried it today but it has a very cidery smell to it, colour is perfect, the only thing is my brew may have got to the 30 degree mark on day 3. as we had stormy weather hanging around, i have had this happen with other brews but did not affect these at all.
i'm gonna leave it a week and taste it again
any thoughts as to why this happened with this brew and not my others?

I am assuming by your fg you used dextrose and not maltodextrin which is actually corn syrup (only 30% fermentable) and an absolute cack taste if you used 1kg as specified?

Latest posts

Back