My First All-grain Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayandcath

Reaction score
Well Guys,
As the final stages of my AG system is coming together, I was kindly invited (by Bindi) to come over and put down a brew, and thanks for everybody who advised me to get dropped off. Yesterday I headed to Bindi's with grain and hops in hand, not really knowing what I was doing. Milled the grain, and I must say the Millmaster is a machine, and then the Brew master led me through my first all grain. Everything proceeded really smoothly and before I knew it the mash tun was full and we had some time on our hands. "Well time fore a taste" he says at 11:15am
Then we were back out to brewery to mash out and start up the NASA, and get this show on the road. Got the boil going and the initial hop addition in, and bugger me we had to have another break. Screwtop had also just arrived and required our tasting skills to sample some of his latest amber treats.
After blowing the froth of a couple we headed back to the brewery (again) to put down a brew for Bindi, and yes team you guessed a Belgian.
Mine also needed more hops and due to the heat in the brew house refreshments were required, as we worked.
Finally the boil was complete and then we transfered to the cube.......First one down, and what a day.
Bindi's brew was now in the kettle and it was back to the entertainment area for a hard earned beer, he says with a slight slur.
The SWMBO arrived around 16:00 and my day was complete.
I did get a laugh on the way home when my beautiful wife said "You smell like a brewery" and I said "Yes great isn't it".

Thanks Bindi and Screwtop for the education and the laughs, I thoroughly enjoyed the day and now feel I have become a man. :D

Jay

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

He he :) what a fun day made even better with Screwy bringing some taste testers to sample.
We hit all temps and times which was amazing given the tastings, broke a rule "no beer before the boil" and we started before the first boil :p .
Have you pitched that yeast yet Jay?

Nice work Jay!

Fun isn't it? And a friendlier, funnier couple of blokes you're unlikely to meet!

Cheers!

"Well time fore a taste" he says at 11:15am

Bloody hell that's gutsy play - Cracking a Bindi rocket fuel before the sun is over the yard-arm?

Bravo!

What's the name of the Belgian?

Smashex perhaps??

BravoZulu.

Fester out.

He he :) what a fun day made even better with Screwy bringing some taste testers to sample.
We hit all temps and times which was amazing given the tastings, broke a rule "no beer before the boil" and we started before the first boil :p .
Have you pitched that yeast yet Jay?

No not yet mate, I've been using the fermenting fridge as a CC fridge the last couple of weeks. But I nudged throught the last of a keg this afternoon so I could do a bit of a shuffle. Reset the temp to 20C at about 17:30, so I am looking to get her in the fermenter early or mid morning.

And as for the tasters, they were ony ponies, but when your drinking avgas a little goes a long way!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Jay! You would have needed nappies trying not to wet yourself with those two! :lol:

Pretty sure I can speak for Bindi when I say we love helping new brewers into the fold, shit - it's an investment in our future drinking pleasure :lol:

This area is about to see 4 new AG'ers come online in the next few weeks, Yeeeeesss, more good beer.

Thanks to Jay and Bindi for the critique on the beers I took along, 2 Bocks, my house APA, JSGA Clone, an IPA and and ESB. Two had flaws which they were onto pretty quick, we drank the rest!

As usual Bindi had a couple of 8% Mid Strengths for us to sample. Another Mid Strength Vicar, "no thanks but that light beer at 5.8% was very nice" :lol:

Bloody hell that's gutsy play - Cracking a Bindi rocket fuel before the sun is over the yard-arm?

Bravo!

What's the name of the Belgian?

Smashex perhaps??

BravoZulu.

Fester out.

Jays beer went well, 1.044 [there are numbers under 1.060 I found out].

'Splice the mainbrace' it was, it had to be over the yard-arm somewhere in the world, and BravoZulu it was until I made up the wrong yeast starter :( used Wyeast 3725 Biere de Garde, should have been 3787 Trappist ;) it's now chewing through 1.072 in the fermenter and going like a steam train, Now called "Mixup Biere de Garde".
Does not matter.

Good onya Jay sounds like ya had a good day mate, wish i coulda bin there. We're pretty lucky us newbs on the sunny coast to have some awesome brewers just around the corner, and Screwy if my best beer was as good as your worst i'd still want to insert it rectally :lol: , and Bindi's dry cherry beer OMG if only you could legally marry a beer :rolleyes: .

Great stuff , you guys have a great network of skilled , humorous and generous brewers down that way , your brewdays are always legendary events with good yarns and beers .

Well done to the senior brewers on the day and welcome too the newies .

Cheers ..

Good onya Jay sounds like ya had a good day mate, wish i coulda bin there. We're pretty lucky us newbs on the sunny coast to have some awesome brewers just around the corner, and Screwy if my best beer was as good as your worst i'd still want to insert it rectally :lol: , and Bindi's dry cherry beer OMG if only you could legally marry a beer :rolleyes: .

Absolutely Brett, I can't believe how long I waited to try AG. I was always worried that it was too expensive and difficult and the group of guys that would into it would be very hard core elite not wanting to help newbies but quick to criticize.
And to be absolutely honest I was right, they are part of an elite. And for reasons opposite to what I expected to find. They are always happy to talk/discuss and shove (gently) in the right direction, blow the froth of a couple for the reason of improvement for the whole and I am only going on the people I have met thus far, and I think that they are some of the best people that I have come accross.

Jay

Enough about us eh, gou guys are still in the honeymoon phase when all AG tastes great. C'mon I want to see steam coming from your garages boys, get the lead out we want to try your beers.

Beer Warning: Some new brew gear arrived in Landsborough over the weekend, someone is sneakily assembling an AG brewery,shh! Wonder if he lashed out on a thingy too :lol:

Enough about us eh, gou guys are still in the honeymoon phase when all AG tastes great. C'mon I want to see steam coming from your garages boys, get the lead out we want to try your beers.

Beer Warning: Some new brew gear arrived in Landsborough over the weekend, someone is sneakily assembling an AG brewery,shh! Wonder if he lashed out on a thingy too :lol:

And ditto to that, start brewing and less posting and polishing :lol: , a new AG brewery in Mansboruogh hey? Good, and about time.

So whos who in the first pic? Just out of interest....

And ditto to that, start brewing and less posting and polishing :lol: , a new AG brewery in Mansboruogh hey? Good, and about time.

About two years to late eh Bindi? :D Still not sire if I need a 'thingy' :lol: What would I need that for? Anyone got a compelling reason?

Pretty sure I can speak for Bindi when I say we love helping new brewers into the fold, shit - it's an investment in our future drinking pleasure :lol:

This is what impresses me the most about brewing. Not the good beer, that comes as a result of brewing. It's the spirit, the camaraderie, and the friendships (even if only long distance, and on the forum) that you gain from it. Everyone willing to help, and to give their time, their knowledge and their effort. :beerbang:

Back