My Dumbest Question Yet!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
OK, I know I am pretty stupid and useless at this Home Brewing, BUT I have a real problem with my SG readings. Is it at all possible for them to go up? I have had a couple of batches that I swear are at about 1012, then 3 days later they say 1014. WTF am I doing wrong?? Is this normal or am I just a "special" case of an idiot?

OK, I know I am pretty stupid and useless at this Home Brewing, BUT I have a real problem with my SG readings. Is it at all possible for them to go up? I have had a couple of batches that I swear are at about 1012, then 3 days later they say 1014. WTF am I doing wrong?? Is this normal or am I just a "special" case of an idiot?

Possibly a temperature variation. There a calibration tool here that could help. If you increased a few degrees it could cause a higher reading.

http://www.kotmf.com/tools/hydrom.php

Have you made sure the hydrometer isn't touching the sides of the tube? Have you given it a spin to get rid of any bubbles attached to the hydrometer?

Fasty,

As far as I know, your gravity shouldn't go up unless you add something to the wort, but I'm a beginner too, so don't take my word for it.

I can think of two explanations.

1: temperature changes. If you take two samples of the same wort, and raise the temperature of one, the SG of the warmer sample will be higher. It could be that your wort was cooler when you took the seond reading, leading to a higher SG reading for the same wort.

2: bubbles. If you get bubbles stuck to the hydrometer, it can lift the hydrometer up a little in the tube, giving a higher reading. Make sure your sample is settled and without bubbles.

That's all I can tell you, maybe others will have other advice.

Chefs,

Stew

I do give it a spin and leave it for about 5 minutes and give it another spin. My brew room is a steady 16-18 degrees. Buggers me!!

No need to put yourself down mate.

Temperature can affect sg readings. If you're temperature changes, your reading will chenge. There are a few online calculators that can help you correct the reading.

The other thing is if you get more unfermented sugars in your sample the reading will be higher.

Yes they can, just keep adding a couple of cups of sugar every day.

It's more likely that you aren't using your hydrometer properly and there are little bubbles sticking to it and lifting it up.

Either

Fill the sample tube, give the hydrometer a spin to shear the bubbles away then take the reading as soon as the hydrometer stops spinning.

Or fill the sample tube put in the hydrometer and allow its temperature to stabilise (20-30 minutes) tap the hydrometer to get rid of any bubbles a couple of times then take a reading.

Most importantly do it the same way every time, better to consistently inaccurate than accurate inconstantly.

Or it could be that one of your friends has a really warped sense of humour, and lots of sugar.

MHB
Edit
Dam u guys type fast
M

Dunno, guess I am a "brew-tard". Oh well I like some of my beers, heck I even LOVE batch 7 ATM, it's bloody awesome.

fasty,

The other possibility is lots of yeast in the first sample. I always toss the first tube full and use the second for my SG.

growler.

+1 to Growler and hop gunk if you chuck them in the fermenter, get the first sample and drink it down then measure the second sample then swig that one down.

not sure if you are doing partial boils and taking samples from the top but if you are make sure you mix the wort really well. I haven had partial boil brews with low gravity until i really shake them up. Really really shake them for 10 mins or so.

I fill the tube so that when I put the hydrometer in it overflows, no more bubbles.

Latest posts

Back