My Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodu

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought a Morgans homebrew kit from my local hbs with a can of Morgans Queensland Bitter (XXXX Bitter clone).

I mixed it all up about 1pm on Friday, pitched the yeast like straight after I put the cold water in to make 23L. I thought it may have been a little hot for the yeast because I didn't see any action in the fermenter until about 9pm that night. It's been quite hot here in Brisbane (well atleast where I live) and the fermentation seemed to have finished by lunchtime on the Monday (ie two days ago).

I took a reading from the hydrometer and it said just under 1005, so being impatient as it's my first brew I decided to bottle! I used the carbonation drops that came with the kit as the primer for the bottles.

Now, I just cracked a bottle open today to check its progress and I'm a little confused. When I poured the beer into a glass it looks more like a softdrink, the head disappears very quickly and all the little bubbles rise quite quickly from the bottom of the glass like a softdrink. It smells and tastes like beer though, didn't taste too bad considering it's my first batch.

Is the head/bubbly effect because I rushed it, or used carbonation drops or something else? Is there a method to find out the alcohol content of your brew without the first hydrometer reading (I neglected to take it)? Anyone tried the Blue Mountain Lager or Yukon Brown Smoked Ale as I think I might try those next.

Thanks for any comments.

Leave it in the bottles for two or more weeks and all will be fine :)

PZ.

Blue mountain Lager is delicous and after 2-3 weeks is fantastic.

Just ask your LHBS for a booster for it and he'll point you in the right direction.

Now, I just cracked a bottle open today to check its progress and I'm a little confused. When I poured the beer into a glass it looks more like a softdrink, the head disappears very quickly and all the little bubbles rise quite quickly from the bottom of the glass like a softdrink. It smells and tastes like beer though, didn't taste too bad considering it's my first batch.

It taste like beer so you are of to a good start :beer: It is probably just a bit over carbonated, maybe try using dextrose instead of the drops so you can control the carbonation level.

Is there a method to find out the alcohol content of your brew without the first hydrometer reading (I neglected to take it)?

There is a way but you need a refractometer and hydrometer. If you used the can with a kilo of dextrose then it will be about 4.5%

hey boodu welcome to the forum.give your brew time to carb up a couple of days is no where near enough at least a couple of weeks minimum, a few months is best .
as for for morgans blue mountain larger it's great i use it for my base beer and never had a bad one,so welcome to the addiction have fun... :D :beer:

Latest posts

Back