Murrays Brewery. In Bloom IPA.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerisyummy

Reaction score
I need to start by saying that I'm not affiliated to this brewery. I like to check out places that I visit and this is one area I've been to recently.
That is all.

I recently did the brewery tour and saw the spent cones of this brew http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/our_beers/our_beers_detail.php?In-Bloom-IPA-72 so I'm interested to find out how it turns out.

If anyone gets the chance, please try it on tap and report back.

I'll sneak down there, drink one, and report back.

I had this at GABS last week, not a bad beer.

If there wasn't another 150 beers there I would have had a second glass.

Snuck down there after golf today. Finally managed to relax on the course and get a decent score.

The closest I can compare it to is Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest 2013, of which I've had a few recently.

The Murrays is brewed with NZ flowers. I couldn't find out which ones they used, so probably the usual suspects such as Riwaka, Motueka etc etc. I was told it was mashed a little lower than normal (whatever that is), so that explains why I thought the malt was a little more in the background than in the SNNH. Drinking the first half of the glass really brings out the almost sweet fresh hop aroma and flavour, but probably also from the malt, with a balanced finish. As you go down the glass, the palate gets coated with hop resins, and the beer gets progressively more bitter tasting losing most of it's malt forward character.

An interesting beer, which I did really enjoy, but being totally honest, I'd probably prefer the SNNH by a smidge compared to the Murrays. Let's say 95 to 100 one compared to the other, only because the SNNH retains its malt character throughout the glass. The only thing which stopped me going back for a second pint of the Murrays is that I had to drive home. If this was the only beer I could drink for the rest of my life, I wouldn't complain.

Latest posts

Back