"murky" Mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lecterfan

Yeast, unleashed in the East...
Reaction score
Gday,

I have a 2 month old mead in "primary" (5L demi), it has dropped from OG of 1098 to 1002 last time I drew a sample (3 weeks ago), but the Lavlin EC 1118 is still slowly punching away as evidenced by decent airlock activity.

This is not JAO (although I have tasted and enjoyed that recipe and other melomels etc.), this is purely local honey, water and yeast (as is my preference for mead).

This sucker is still slightly "krausening" (if such a term can be used) around the high tide mark on the demi, and is almost as hazy/murky as it was on the day it was brewed.

I am after a reasonably dry mead for the end of the calendar year.

Leave it alone or rack it?

My gut says leave it, but I am interested in other opinions.

Leave it alone. Let it finish. It will start to drop clear once the yeast goes to sleep. Once it starts to clear you can rack it although I tend to rack once it has cleared pretty much completely. I'm a minimalist racker though as I can't use sodium met as an antioxidant (the missus is allergic). I'll generally only rack once or at the most twice unless I'm doing something with a lot of fruit in it.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back