Muntons Gold?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sid

Reaction score
Hey all, well done an AG brown ale the other day and after 3 days no action with the trub s-04 that I used, so I took an grvity reading and it was still at 1.048..............I will have to pitch a muntons gold I have.....................is this yeast any good?
I also have a brewmaster draught ale yeast.............could use this.

Have you tried aerating the wort & rousing the original yeast? By using the trub from another brew you should have got off to a great start.
If this doesn't work then pitch the Munton's.
Keeping the fermenter close to around 19\20 deg c would be a help too.

TP

Muntons Gold yeast is a good dry yeast. It is an all purpose yeast, supposedly somewhat higher attenuating than regular Muntons yeast. It's said to be a vigorous starter with a clean malt profile.
Been about 3 years since I last used it, but from memory, it worked fine for me.

Hey all, well done an AG brown ale the other day and after 3 days no action with the trub s-04 that I used, so I took an grvity reading and it was still at 1.048..............I will have to pitch a muntons gold I have.....................is this yeast any good?
I also have a brewmaster draught ale yeast.............could use this.

What were your temps? Ive just bottled an CPA that was a Muntons child... and it got stuck fo a while on 18 so I had to raise the Temps.. when you say your reading was 'still at 1048' I assume it 's that same as your OG?
DId you rehydrate the 04?
What was the prep there?... cant help with the draught ale yeast but as stated above if it didnt kick off the get some o2 into your wort and repitch some rehydrated yeast.. should get some action
:icon_cheers:

hey ya guys, thanks for the replies.

Finally managed to get it started, had to up the temp and gave it a roll and off she started...............3 days, thats about my longest delay so far with fermenting.............. with the colder weather starting I should have had it a bit warmer.....this change it temps/seasons always gets me.

I'll have to try the muntons gold in an up coming ale then, I had a muntons a few weeks back and noticed those kit beers have a certain yeast flavour to them.................thought it might come through too much in my beer.

I much prefer any fermentis yeast over the muntons. A few years ago I used it and wasn't that impressed. S04 for that style for me.

I much prefer any fermentis yeast over the muntons. A few years ago I used it and wasn't that impressed. S04 for that style for me.

yeh, I'm with on that, I just tried a muntons kit beer at a mates house yesterday, while I didn't mind the beer, that muntons yeast has a very specific taste to it...........the S-04 seems to not come through as much in the flavour.

yeh, I'm with on that, I just tried a muntons kit beer at a mates house yesterday, while I didn't mind the beer, that muntons yeast has a very specific taste to it...........the S-04 seems to not come through as much in the flavour.

I've found the muntons yeast to be very good in bitters, milds, porters and stouts. As long as the temp is kept in check, it'll only impart a very subtle (nice in my opinion) flavour to the beer. Though I've noticed it doesn't handle cold temps too well and can go to sleep pretty easy when below 18 C.

Maybe I'm alone, but I've never been a big fan of S-04. Though that probably has more to do with my inability to use it properly.

Ironically, I find S04 is better at producing Yankie PAs better than US05. I love all the esters it produces - a Nelson Sauvin PA with S04 is like drinking a bucket of grapefruit and peaches.

Don't worry - I struggle with basic motor tasks too. I have before, on a complete whimsical fancy, decided to put 6 odd kg of malt on the ground oustide the mash tun instead of inside it. On other ocassions I have thought it a better idea to put wort on the concrete rather than in a kettle.

Don't worry - I struggle with basic motor tasks too. I have before, on a complete whimsical fancy, decided to put 6 odd kg of malt on the ground oustide the mash tun instead of inside it. On other ocassions I have thought it a better idea to put wort on the concrete rather than in a kettle.

Must be a basic challenge, my fault was coming in for dinner, having a wee disagreement with the cook, being banished to the "other" tv room, falling asleep t6hen wakening to find ny brew had been boiling for 5 and a half hours :lol:

That made me spit altbier at my screen.

What was the evaporation loss on that effort?

That made me spit altbier at my screen.

What was the evaporation loss on that effort?

Huge, It was a brew gone! Humorous thinking how pissed and pissed off at the time I was waking, then thinking, mmm was I brewing?.

Well- caramelised wort. Never been game to do that to a kettle- full, hope you didn't chuck it.

it was a really shit beer, just like the night! B)
I watered it, then rushed the ferment, treated it badly like she did me :lol:

That's too bad. After all that I would've caramelised it to frothy syrup and added it to subsequent batches bit by bit. Mmmm caramel... :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back