Mulberry Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
HI all,
I have a 10L bucket of berries that I had to ledave ina fridge for a week, they have a little mould here and there,
I was thinking of just biolig 10 L of water, dumping them in then using some capden to help kill the fungus,

am I crazy?

Crazy like a fox!!!!!

Do it! What's the worse that can happen?

Sinkas

The short answer is no. If the berries have mould showing on the surface it will be right through them and you will probably taste it in the finished brew. best not to risk it. Or you could taste a few and see how they taste...

Cheers
Dave

I'd say go for it. Wine produces leave on whole bunches of grapes that have gone a little mouldy and no one notices ;)

Typically they mix a bit of sodium-met or potassium-met to kill off the fungus, same as a campden tablet, to kill off any wild yeasts living on the grape skins, which exists in large numbers in most vineyards anyway!

Its not going to hurt and its better than tossing out the whole lot!

If it tastes bad afterwards, then ditch it.

If it tastes bad, get an old italian to make it into grappa for you.

you could be onto something here....... botrytis mulberry wine

Well I ended up with about 12 L, used 6 litres of water 3kg sugar and 9 litres of mulberries,
held the mush at 75 for 5 minutes or so to quasi-pasturaize, dumped it into my newly won better-bottle with a pitch of US05, if I can find my pectin and wine yast nutrient I'll dump that in in a day or so, og 1100ish
Tastes very nice, and doesnt really have a cooked taste to it that apples get is heated.

Latest posts

Back