Moving To Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been kit/extract brewing for a couple of months now and have finally decided to take the step into ag via biab in an urn. I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere to get good grain for a reasonable price in the sunshine coast area? craft brewer seems to be the way to go but it's too far away for me and postage for kgs of grain would be too much I think. Any help appreciated cheers Josh.

Where abouts are you on the sunshine coast? Sounds like a good excuse for someone to go to craftbrewer then head up the coast the next day for a spot of fishing followed by beers at your place.

BribieG is the bloke to ask, I'm sure he'll see this and answer it.

Cheers,

Ed

Freight to Bribie is around $10 for orders up to 25kg from CB, generally overnight via Fastway. Couldn't even drive / Gateway it there for that price.

If you buy more than five kilos of a grain the price drops by a dollar a kilo, and they crush it free anyway and shrink wrap it in your specified batch size.

So example, for 6 @ 4k of base malt = less than $2 freight per brew
Or

4 @ 5K, a couple of half kilos of spec grains that will do you for a few brews, hops and yeast, bits and pieces <25K = less than $2.50 per brew

Once you get seriously into it and get a mill and go in bulk buys you can generally car pool your sacks of malt up with the other guys and save heaps all round.

Give CB a ring on Tuesday and see what they charge to the Sunny, or maybe anyone reading this can advise.

CraftBrewer uses Fastway Couriers pre- paid labels, $9.90 for up to 25kg, plus they do very prompt despatch and delivery is usually overnight to here at Toowoomba. Great way to get malt very cheaply and promptly, I use this service all the time for small and larger orders. It will also help if you lodge an Authority To Leave with them, if you're likely to be out when they deliver (usually early AM here).
Edit: Beaten by Bribie! :icon_cheers:
Ps. Even if I lived in Brisbane I'd probably still use the couriers (unless I was very close, of course) however there's also a pretty impressive line up of taps there now, so a drive will be worthwhile, particularly if you can nab someone else to do driving! :icon_drunk:

Freight to Bribie is around $10 for orders up to 25kg from CB, generally overnight via Fastway. Couldn't even drive / Gateway it there for that price.

If you buy more than five kilos of a grain the price drops by a dollar a kilo, and they crush it free anyway and shrink wrap it in your specified batch size.

So example, for 6 @ 4k of base malt = less than $2 freight per brew
Or

4 @ 5K, a couple of half kilos of spec grains that will do you for a few brews, hops and yeast, bits and pieces <25K = less than $2.50 per brew

Once you get seriously into it and get a mill and go in bulk buys you can generally car pool your sacks of malt up with the other guys and save heaps all round.

Give CB a ring on Tuesday and see what they charge to the Sunny, or maybe anyone reading this can advise.
Hey thanks for that mate, I didn't realize freight could be that cheap, I'll contact craft brewer and see what the rate is to mount Mellum

I emailed craft brewer and Ross said to make up an order and freight cost would be calculated at checkout. made up a 20 kg order on craft brewer and it said fastway would be $46.75. So I think that rules that option out for me

Edit: I live in mount mellum and postage to here is $46, so I tried some different areas, landsborough $9.90, maleny $9.90.
Landsborough is about 5 mins away. And maleny is about 10 minutes more out of the way than mt mellum, seems strange but my parents live in maleny so I guess I'll have it sent there. Just seems strange that it would cost an extra $36 when it's not really out of the way. Anyway, cheers for the advice guys. Josh

What's your locale? The Sunshine Coast is covered by this? :huh:

I'm in the ten buck Craftbrewer zone at the sounth end of the Goldie. Sure the SC is covered?

Costs me almost $30 in gas to get there and back.

It seems to only be mount mellum, everywhere neAr and around is 9.90, even lansborough which is in the same postcode

Get it sent to a mate within the zone?
Yeah that's the plan, my brother lives in maleny and we both work together, so I'll get it sent to him and he can bring it to work, I'm pretty happy with that as I've been paying 12.50 postage and have been limited to 3kg max, so plenty of well priced quality grain for me, and I can even get my urn for $10 postage, might have to try one of these fwk's too :)

Mt Mellum - Isn't that the where there are 2000 people, 2 surnames? :ph34r:

Seriously, what you need to realise about Ross is that he has two disabilities. He's a Pom (God bless his little heart and areshole) and also a Southsider and maybe his software is confusing Mt Mellum with Mt Larcom or Mt Morgan or Mt Isa or somewhere. The Fastway truck would have to go right through the place on its way up the hill to Maleny. I'd ring Fastway re that map you linked to and get a definite answer from them. Can't see why it wouldn't be Maleny Landsborough rates for you as well. I can see you from the end of my street and I'm on Bribie :p

On that point if you ever get into bulk buys I can always meet you at the Sundowner. We've had split ups there in the past

Mt Mellum - Isn't that the where there are 2000 people, 2 surnames? :ph34r:

Seriously, what you need to realise about Ross is that he has two disabilities. He's a Pom (God bless his little heart and areshole) and also a Southsider and maybe his software is confusing Mt Mellum with Mt Larcom or Mt Morgan or Mt Isa or somewhere. The Fastway truck would have to go right through the place on its way up the hill to Maleny. I'd ring Fastway re that map you linked to and get a definite answer from them. Can't see why it wouldn't be Maleny Landsborough rates for you as well. I can see you from the end of my street and I'm on Bribie :p

On that point if you ever get into bulk buys I can always meet you at the Sundowner. We've had split ups there in the past

Well I moved in here about a year ago so were up to 3 surnames now.
I'll look into this as it really doesn't make sense that mount mellum costs 4 times as much when it's bang in-between landsborough and maleny. And I'd say I'll be keen to get into bulk buys at some point, maybe once I get a few successful brews under my belt(been reading up on your biab in an urn thread) cheers

Yeah call craftbrewer and or fast way.
I work at mt Mellum 1d/month and there are a few roads that don't show on my gps. Probably just a glitch in the matrix.

If you can't sort it, we could share an order. (I'm in m'dore)
25kg is probably 6 batches for me which could take me a while to brew and consume.

Yeah call craftbrewer and or fast way.
I work at mt Mellum 1d/month and there are a few roads that don't show on my gps. Probably just a glitch in the matrix.

If you can't sort it, we could share an order. (I'm in m'dore)
25kg is probably 6 batches for me which could take me a while to brew and consume.
Thanks for the offer mate but I should be ok, I can just have it sent to my brother and get it off him, cheers though

This topic has been mentioned to me before & is grossly unfair area-wise IMHO as the Sunshine Coast is much more than just the coastal strip from Caloundra to Noosa just in the same way as the Gold Coast is not merely the coastal strip from Southport to the "Gatta but encompasses the South Coast hinterlands as well which seem to be included in the Fastway $10 delivery area as does Toowoomba TTBOMK.
Mt Mellum is barely a spit & a jump from Beerwah where I know Fastways deliver to other AHB brewers. See the pic below.
Sunshine Coast Area Map
IMHO all areas for delivery from anyone (not just CraftBrewer's couriers) should be established from their local government area maps.

TP

Possibly, and as a former Wurtulla-ite - I'd be pinged off to be paying the "blanket courier fee" (thinking as a sunshine coaster) - but realistically, it's a mile from nowhere and to establish based on local government areas is ludicrous.

Wurtulla is almost another 100km closer than Noosa - and an easy trip on the highway back in from caloundra, up nicklin way and you're there.

Tewantin, feels like another hour's drive extra at least and you're paying a human being for that, not just the fuel. A Caloundra-based person would be might irritated to be subsidising a bloke at Doonan for the extra time to get ingredients up there.

If you want to live in the middle of nowhere, prepare to pay for freight.

Otherwise move to Brisbane and drive yourself there.

I spent 16 years on the sunshine coast (grew up there), and I have no sympathy for anyone crying poor. You want to live next to the beach (or in the hinterland), you want to go for lifestyle (perceived or otherwise) over convenience, be prepared to pay. Courier's have to feed their families, same as all of us. You choose to live in a giant retirement village, you choose the extra fees to get crap up there.

Otherwise, drive down and pick it up - you've likely the time to do so, anyway.

</launch grendade>

Actually at risk of totally derailing the thread, from Caboolture (ex) Shire it's now more convenient to drive up to Sunshine Plaza or Caloundra to shop, rather than fight the traffic and parking at Chermside or even Strathpine. Nearest place to get a half decent Indian meal, it's actually the nearest Honda dealership if you own one and need a service, nearest Eckersley store for SWMBOs art supplies, and the cinemas there totally cream Strathpine or Redcliffe. Often pop up there, only half an hour from the Bribie turnoff. Sunshine Coast as God's waiting room is not really the case nowadays and the likes of Fastway are no doubt aware of that. Or bloody well should be.

Absolute bullshit LGR,
I would like to think that I know more about this place than you do having joined a local surf club in 1959, spent every available moment & weekend here, watched the place turn into a mini Brisbane :( & have lived here for 27 years.
This bloke is entitled to the same freight as I am as he lives within spitting distance (transport-wise) which can be justified by the $10 deliveries Fastways deliver just down the road to Beerwah & beyond.

TP

PS --- Just saw you Michael. :beer:

Yup, further derailing, if you go up the Sunshine Motorway they have fairly recently built a dedicated exit for the Sunshine Plaza -- Brisbane to Sunshine Plaza all the way with no traffic lights. How good's that.

Latest posts

Back