Moving To Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I always wait 4 days for delivery to ipswich via Fastway. If I want a batch for the weekend I have to order on Monday or it won't arrive in time.
Yeah, I'm serious, but I was relating own circumstances here though. I can assure you that I've received many orders on my doorstep within 48 hours of placing them, some even less but certainly not all I would grant, too many though to suggest Fastway's performance was just chance. I guess its probably worthwhile remembering that CB don't open Sundays or Mondays and they do wait for direct debit funds to clear before actioning the order, which is fair enough.

Also there's Fastway and there's Fastway. If you are in an area serviced by their "spine" service then a Fastway truck will roll up to your door, drop your order right against the screen door so you can't get out :angry: and yell "courier" then POQ.
However if you are in a non spine area then Clarrie and Marge's Local Couriers will amble up, being the subcontractors, and have a nice chat about the weather.

If you ring Anthony at CB he can give you a tracking number to find out, online, where your order is. Usually "on a Fastway Truck"

This is a thread about delivery costs to the Sunshine Coast isn't it? :unsure: ;)

TP

Yes I was only thinking today. It was 28 here and I thought about those poor buggers in Ipswich. Anyway, hardy pioneers as they are - what use would they have for the beach?

pioneers.jpeg

:lol:

Since I was born well after 1959 (even my old man was born only a short time before it) and given I spent my entire high school life at Kawana High, lots of time down at Buddina, surfing (as anyone does), Wurtulla Beach, Wurtulla West, Bokarina (even if only for a few months in transit), pre-high School at Pacific Paradise - and given the 16 years (a tad more) is still (only just) more than half my life time, I'd say I've spent enough time up there - pre and post Sunshine Motorway - to have a reasonable right to an opinion on the goings on up there.

M grandparents (as are most) still live up there, as does my Aunt, her partner, and her daughter. My missus is an alumni of Maroochydore High. And I have still many friends I've known most my lifetime (one of which I attended the funeral of a few weeks back, having died of cancer at a very young age- at Mount Coolum), and I still keep in contact with.

Seriously, I've known the coast better than most, and I'll never have anyone say "Oh, you're a Bris-vegan stopover" - given it's only been 8 years, since I escaped the glorified pot-house and retirement village. I decided between marijuana induced psychosis of most my former peers, vs a decent job, degree and not consigning myself to the same old same old of most.

My pure point is - (and given my sister in law lives up there) Tewantin is not the same as Caloundra or Kawana.

Can't expect the same rates for couriering stuff at one, than the other.

And if you want to live next to saltwater in great quantity, be prepared to pay for it.

I'd rather a drive down on the other side of the river and pick up my stuff in person.

Goomba

Wow,That's a lot of localism bullshit, lord goomba!I was born on the coast and my family have been here pre ww2, so what!
Put it in perspective dude. mt Mellum is barely more than a walk from landsborough. Landsborough is on the state rail line and had the the Bruce (national) highway pass through it before it was rerouted and named Steve Irwin drive. It's not in the vicinity of the sunshine motorway.
The whole local government boundary thing is bogus post almagamation with the SCRC covering south caloundra through tewantin. We even share our water with Brisbane. (tanks excepted)Just because you lived with a pothead retiree it's hardly typical of a whole community of 350,000+ people.
I agree that freight needs to be charged based on time and demand but steady on mate. Yes tewantin is not the same suburb as caloundra. (kawana is not even a suburb btw) My point is mt Mellum is probably 1h closer to capalaba than than tewantin is to capalaba.
Ps yes I have a degree(s), career and have lived in other cities/countries.

You guys have to realise that that Fastway do not personally service every area, when it's given to an on forwarder the rate has to have a reasonable rise. Unfortunately they have to draw a line somewhere & if you are just over that line it appears grossly unfair when the guy in the next village gets it much cheaper, but this is always going to be the case unless another francise opens up covering your area.

Cheers Ross

Edit: Your other option Josh, is to drop your freight to under 20kg & you'll get an Auspost rate offrered as well. With Australia Post covering all areas, this often works out much better than using secondary couriers.

Really? I always wait 4 days for delivery to ipswich via Fastway. If I want a batch for the weekend I have to order on Monday or it won't arrive in time.

Sorry for the :icon_offtopic:

The same thing happens here Ash on the Gold Coast

I think people are mis understanding how couriers tend to work. I don't work for Fast Way so can't comment on them specifically, but with most companies it would work like this.

1 - Driver that services Capalaba picks up order from craft brewer and takes it back to his local depot that night (probably somewhere in Brisbane).
2 - The order gets consolidated with other freight going to the Sunshine coast and gets put on a truck heading that way. This could be a fastway truck or could be done through a completely different company.
3 - The sunshine coast Fastway depot receives the consolidated freight and breaks it apart, and divides it up into arbitrary delivery areas that they have determined. Some of these areas will be serviced by in house delivery drivers and other areas won't be. If your area is serviced by an in-house driver most likely you will have no extra fees. If your area isn't, Fastway would need to hire a third party driver to do the delivery. If it's not a very popular area, this can even be ad-hoc which is sort of like hiring a taxi and costs a lot of money. This could fully explain the cost increase mentioned above and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's completely justified.

Also keep in mind most couriers and courier companies focus their marketing towards businesses and prefer to deliver to businesses. Even deliveries to private homes in populace areas are a pain in the arse for them and definitely not where the company is making their profit. So private homes in obscure areas are definitely a pain in the arse and a driver won't be thinking "oh it's only the next suburb over", nor should they be.

Just to make things clear, I'm not complaining about any courier services, my only point was that it seems strange that both maleny and lands borough have a $10 postage rate and mount Mellum which is directly between the two is $45.
Mount Mellum is basically on the side of landsborough-maleny road, really doesn't worry me as I can just have my orders posted to maleny as I have family there, just seems weird as a courier would practically be driving through mt Mellum to get to maleny.

Okay I looked on the map and that is weird. All I can think of is that Landsborough is serviced by a different driver to Maleny and their areas both don't include Mount Mellum.

As there are only two surnames at Mt Mellum (until the OP moved there) - maybe the Courier is a Smith, and the Jones won't allow him to deliver without demanding an additional toll. Or shoot him

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Just to make things clear, I'm not complaining about any courier services, my only point was that it seems strange that both maleny and lands borough have a $10 postage rate and mount Mellum which is directly between the two is $45.
Mount Mellum is basically on the side of landsborough-maleny road, really doesn't worry me as I can just have my orders posted to maleny as I have family there, just seems weird as a courier would practically be driving through mt Mellum to get to maleny.

Josh,

Why don't you give Fastway a call, they often move their boundary's as circumstances change, maybe they just need you to point it out, or at least they'll give you a reason.

cheers Ross

As there are only two surnames at Mt Mellum (until the OP moved there) - maybe the Courier is a Smith, and the Jones won't allow him to deliver without demanding an additional toll. Or shoot him

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Leave Incider out of this :D

Back