Movies that get better every time you watch them. Yours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • Blazing Saddles
  • The Bourne series
  • Happy Gilmour
  • The Waterboy
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight.

kalbarluke said:
Anything by Pixar. "The Incredibles" is honestly one of the best films ever made IMHO for many reasons. I've seen that movie many times and it really does get better every time I watch it.
I'm avoiding Pixar films currently as my 7 month old is just starting to take notice of giggle and hoot on TV and i'm expecting an onslaught of Pixar movies on at home for years to come. Just keeping my distance to prepare.

My most enjoyable DVD's at home are:
The good, the bad and the ugly
For a few dollars more
A fistfull of dollars
Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels
Evil Dead trilogy
Don't have at home but loved watching "Clash of the Titans" growing up on the old vcr. Watched the remake saturday night and got depressed and went to bed.

Nibbo,

Have you seen Snatch (which is supposedly the "sequel to Lock, Stock....")? Very good film. Even Brad Pitt does a good job as a gypsy, bare knuckle boxer.

Only because you can't understand a bleedin thing he says.

kalbarluke said:
Nibbo,

Have you seen Snatch (which is supposedly the "sequel to Lock, Stock....")? Very good film. Even Brad Pitt does a good job as a gypsy, bare knuckle boxer.
Have seen the odd snatch...i mean yep i have seen snatch which is also a good'n to watch. And yes, have no idea what Brad Pitt says with out subtitles...but is a kickass knuckle boxer...

The title sequence gets better every time I watch it.

Nibbo said:
I'm avoiding Pixar films currently as my 7 month old is just starting to take notice of giggle and hoot on TV and i'm expecting an onslaught of Pixar movies on at home for years to come. Just keeping my distance to prepare.

My most enjoyable DVD's at home are:
The good, the bad and the ugly
For a few dollars more
A fistfull of dollars
Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels
Evil Dead trilogy
Don't have at home but loved watching "Clash of the Titans" growing up on the old vcr. Watched the remake saturday night and got depressed and went to bed.
I know what you mean re: Pixar movies, but wow kids movies have come a long way in the last 15 or so years.
Made the missus angry a few years ago of putting a movie on for my daughter (about 4yo) I grabbed off a workmate.
Coraline.
It's pretty much stop motion animated horror disguised as a kids movie.
When my wife saw it for the first time she hit the ******* roof.
In my defence, Í pointed out how her control freak friend's kids get scared just watching some Angelina Ballerina episodes.

Meanwhile our daughter is sprawled across the floor watching some messed-up nightmare-inducing animations while casually slurping on her drink bottle.

I watched coraline the other night for the first time before letting the kids watch it. Glad I did. Fkn insane shit in that isnt it. Tim burton smokes weird shit to come up with these movies.

In saying that I think most pixar movies are better with subsequent viewings. Monsters inc, up, etc

I don't believe that's one of Burton's.

Neil Gaiman as I recall.

bum said:

Neil Gaiman as I recall.
I must be thinking of another one. Well gaimen smoked weird shit. So does Hayao Miyazaki wrote ponyo, spirited away etc. Great movies although the ending of ponyo suck which hayao admits he didnt know how to end.

bum said:

Neil Gaiman as I recall.
If i remember correctly, Gaiman wrote the story or the screenplay... Burton did the film.

They both smoke weird shit.

Cheers
Dave

Burton was not involved.

Coraline is a 2009 British-American stop-motion 3D horror/fantasy film based on Neil Gaiman's 2002 novel of the same name. It was produced by Laika and distributed by Focus Features. Written and directed by Henry Selick, it was released widely in United States theaters on February 6, 2009, after a world premiere at the Portland International Film Festival. The film was made with Gaiman's approval and cooperation.
Well bugger me. I could have sworn it was Burton. Maybe I was smoking some weird shit.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Coraline was promoted as being "from the director of A Nightmare Before Christmas" or similar. Probably a fairly common misconception that Burton directed that one too.

That's the other one was thinking of. I thought burton was involved in those? Obviously not. Weird. Maybe we are all smoking weird shit... umm im outta weird shit can I get some more to please. Might make movies either less freaky or more freaky.

Burton didn't direct Nightmare Before Christmas (stop-motion animation is hard as shit and I'm pretty sure you can't just wake up one day and say "I'm making a feature length stop-motion film!") but he was heavily involved in that one. Story and character design, as I recall it. Maybe script but less sure of that.

Back