Movies that get better every time you watch them. Yours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bullitt. Great uber cool performance from Steve McQueen, and still one of the best car chase scenes ever. The rumble of that Mustang engine is awesome. And the best car in the movie? It's his girlfriend's Porsche 356, just beautiful.

A Hard Days Night. Every time I watch it, the music still gets me. Love the natural performances from the guys in it.

In the Heat of the Night. Great performances from the main actors, and you can almost feel the oppressive southern humid heat from the screen.

My Fair Lady. Just a brilliant musical version of a relatively simple story. Love it everytime we fire it up from the DVD.

There are just too many these days to name... here are a few off the top of my head

The Shawshank Redemption

See No Evil Hear No Evil

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

The Thin Red Line

A Clockwork Orange

Apocalypse Now

Once Were Warriors

Clockwork orange

Godfather 1 and 2

Apocalypse Now

Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back

Matrix 1

Lost Highway

Perdita Durango

saving private ryan.
ronin.
harry brown.
star wars (the first 3)
taken.
castaway.

cheers...spog....

All great ones above many yesses to them. I'd admit to a chick flick, a lot like love.

One I've been trying to find again, Snips! (Bollywood English, 40ish minutes long).

Enemy at the gates still gets me. Munich. Fabulous men and their flying machines. Reservoir Dogs. Dil chahta hai. Speed.

Mad max 1& 2

Once we're warriors

Dogs in space

Happy Gilmore

Trainspotting.

Sunset Bvd
Mullholland Dr (the two are linked)
12 Monkeys
Scarface
The Deer Hunter
Sergio Leone "Dollars" trilogy
Dancer in the Dark, though it is harrowing
And basically anything by Kubrick, Junet or Almodovar
And yeah... if Pulp Fiction is there, I'll enjoy watching it for the six thousandth time

Best movie in the world: Missing Link

I should also add Independence Day, but unfortunately I can't watch it (or Jodie Foster's Contact etc) any more without getting it confused with "Mars Attacks".

Mars Attacks has a lot to answer for :huh:

I love Apocalyptic movies. All the Mad Max's (almost all). 12 Monkeys. The Book of Eli. And one I mean to rewatch - The Road with Viggo Strider. I loved this movie but the missus hated it. A perfect review as far as I'm concerned. A Clockwork Orange rates high as with Apocalypse Now. Tho Charlie tops it in Hot Shots? " I loved you in wall street!". Can't fault most of the above mentioned.
Also:
District 9
American History X
Where the day takes you
Aliens
The Abyss
Fire in the Sky
Tinkerbell : The secret of the Wings

Ooh. Benici Del Toro still scares me in Fear and Loathing. Nothing like a drug crazed Samoan with a Bowie knife.

Empire Strikes Back.

Never liked the ******* Rebellion and all their Jedi hoodoo. :D

I think we should restart this thread and enforce a rule where you have to explain in what ways the selected works "get better every time you watch them".

I'm not seeing very many films that work on multiple levels here.

bum said:
I think we should restart this thread and enforce a rule where you have to explain in what ways the selected works "get better every time you watch them".

If you're gonna be like that then I'm going to say, Legally Blonde.

If you're gonna let me be like that then you have to justify your selection.

bum said:
New question, guys - what are your favourite movies?
Weekend at Bernies : Turns out he's dead! Took a coupla watches.

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane : Believe it or not it's not about a car!

Wake in Fright : On closer inspection the roos aren't acting.

bum said:
If you're gonna let me be like that then you have to justify your selection.
I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was better than the first time I saw it except The Usual Suspects, because I actually worked out WTF was going on in subsequent viewings - and developed a fondness for Kevin Spacey's awesomeness.

One of the best movies I've ever seen in my life I saw on mushrooms and if I could remember what it was called I bet you it would be better the second time. It had a duck in it and was in 3D but I can't recall needing 3D glasses.

Howard the Duck?

You weren't on mushrooms. That's just what the movie is like.

bum said:

OK, if I changed my second selection to Inland Empire (Lynch's next film), which I saw the debut of at the Sydney State Theatre, I would have to justify how it works on one level, let alone multiple. It works on multiple levels much better than one. I find it hard to watch again though, I have seen it twice or three times.

And for the record, Mars Attacks is awesome and Will Smith eats kiwis.

Mulholland Dr is certainly a film that has many things to offer over several viewing and there's no need to swap it out.

Gotta say Dancer in the Dark was a great call. The end the second time I saw it was like a punch in the guts.

Latest posts

Back