Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
legit, i think Nick needs to get royalties from the many people he's converted!

Maybe if Nick feels like putting his address up here everyone who got started with his guide could send him a stubby of their next brew? This is the interwebz so he might also end up getting stalked...

No thanks are needed, but you are required to pay it forward.

Teach someone else what you now know.

Well I've been spending the past hour checking out various PID's and such thinking I might move to a herms system, reading this thread reminds you it's about how far you want to take it. Might just go for a heat resistant jug to do my step mashes :)

I had an issue with heat loss during the mashing. I wrapped towels around my tun, temp still dropped from 66 to around 55 which is more than I expected. Has anyone come up with a better solution? I thought about the oven on Low temp, might stick thermometer in and check temp readings.

One other question, After cooling my wort down to 22C and whirlpooling, I siphoned off the brown goodness into my fermenter, I was left with about 2 litres of liquid/gunk in the bottom so I restrained that back through some Voile cloth and got all the liquid loveliness and tipped it into fermenter. Am I better off to leave that stuff out or is it ok to strain it? I was only doing a 10L batch so I wanted all the sugaz I could get.

Cheers

Aussmeister said:
I had an issue with heat loss during the mashing. I wrapped towels around my tun, temp still dropped from 66 to around 55 which is more than I expected. Has anyone come up with a better solution? I thought about the oven on Low temp, might stick thermometer in and check temp readings.

One other question, After cooling my wort down to 22C and whirlpooling, I siphoned off the brown goodness into my fermenter, I was left with about 2 litres of liquid/gunk in the bottom so I restrained that back through some Voile cloth and got all the liquid loveliness and tipped it into fermenter. Am I better off to leave that stuff out or is it ok to strain it? I was only doing a 10L batch so I wanted all the sugaz I could get.

Cheers
You could try re-heating the mash tun around half way through the mash. Make sure to check the temp before and after the heating :)

It's like reading an old friends last letter........sad really........I'll have a beer for him tonight:(

roadside-memorial-420x0.jpg

Maybe we should put the virtual hat around for the little JD's. He was but here for a short time but his courtesy and ability to take criticism will stay with me forever. His high regard for Bum was something to behold.

wbosher said:
I'm still waiting to hear from Yob
NOT YOB TOO! Oh the inhumanity of it all. This is what happens when big beer comes to town. Whose next?

Yob beat me to it appears he is safe and well thank god!

There was a mention about bum and Nick, I've seen a few ripper "discussions" between Yob and Nick too. :lol:

It is a worry for newcomers like me when valuable brewing knowledge like Nick and Tony contributed are no longer here , who will answer my questions about bubbling airlocks and wiring an STC-1000?

Latest posts

Back