Mountain Goat Hightail Ale - Ag Recipe Suggestion?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar Beer

Reaction score
I'm spending too much money on this beer.
Anyone want to help me out with suggestions on a 23L?

Reckon I'm still too novice to try putting recipe's together from scratch.

I've read around some posts and it apparently (and somewhat counter intuitively for an English bitter) uses US-05 yeast and US Cascade hops.

Cheers
Paul

i'll b watching replies on this thread - i'm interested aswell...

I know that it used to be liquid 1056 and they switched to us-05. That was info from the source about a year ago. I did used to know the malts that went into it too but I've forgotten. Might be able to find out though.

well no ag help but this might help
not sure were i found it but had it saved

Mountain Goat Hightail clone 1

* 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale tin (Pale ale if doing Mtn Goat Pale Ale)
* 1kg Light dry malt extract
* 100g Crystal malt (steeped for 20 minutes)
* 100g brewing sugar
* 25g Amarillo hops for the Pale Ale or Goldings/Fuggles for the Hightail, steeped for 10 mins with the LME.

They posted their original recipe a while back

hope this link helps Linky

I went on the Mountain Goat brewery tour just before Christmas - if you are in Melbourne it is well worth a visit, tours are every Wednesday night, the bar is open and they also serve hot pizza. They have a few beers on tap that are not available in the shop eg they had "Rapunzel', a 'double" IPA which was 7.5% ABV and tasted pretty good.

Anyway, during the tour I was able to find out a bit about the current recipe, i think the previous link may be outdated.
Grains are 75% pale ale malt, the rest is "crystal malt and other stuff".
Pride of Ringwood is used for bittering (I saw a bag of pellets so I am sure that this is correct), and head brewer confirmed that Cascade is used for flavour/ aroma.
Only dry yeast is used (US05 might be a good bet for a home brewer, or perhaps you can culture from a bottle)

Beer is fermented at normal temperatures for a week, then dropped down to 0 degrees celsius for another week. During this week of cold conditioning, they take sediment off the bottom of the (conical) fermeter to assist with clarification of beer. There is no filtering of the beer and it still comes out pretty clear, so this is quite effective - makes me want to stick my fermenter in the fridge at home (my wife may get upset that there is no room for the milk, though). Dextrose is used for priming, and of course bottle conditioning is employed - therefore they also noted that ABV of bottles is slightly higher than that of kegs.

This should get you most of the way there, does anyone have some thoughts on the spcific grain bill for the "25%" other stuff?

hazard

Anyway, during the tour I was able to find out a bit about the current recipe, i think the previous link may be outdated.
Grains are 75% pale ale malt, the rest is "crystal malt and other stuff".
Pride of Ringwood is used for bittering (I saw a bag of pellets so I am sure that this is correct), and head brewer confirmed that Cascade is used for flavour/ aroma.
Only dry yeast is used (US05 might be a good bet for a home brewer, or perhaps you can culture from a bottle)

Beer is fermented at normal temperatures for a week, then dropped down to 0 degrees celsius for another week. During this week of cold conditioning, they take sediment off the bottom of the (conical) fermeter to assist with clarification of beer. There is no filtering of the beer and it still comes out pretty clear, so this is quite effective - makes me want to stick my fermenter in the fridge at home (my wife may get upset that there is no room for the milk, though). Dextrose is used for priming, and of course bottle conditioning is employed - therefore they also noted that ABV of bottles is slightly higher than that of kegs.

This should get you most of the way there, does anyone have some thoughts on the spcific grain bill for the "25%" other stuff?

hazard

Thanks Hazard! That's great stuff.

Now for the all important 25%

will be watchin this thread its a great beer in my opinion

I've been thinking about this. We know that
- 75% of grains are pale malt
- original recipe on the previous link shows 12% crystal malts
- POR used for bittering, and cascade for flavour/aroma (as an aside, I was at the Corner Hotel on Boxing Day, and had a few pots of hightail ale - IMHO, there was too a touch too much cascade)
Lets make a guess and say that the rest is munich malt. I don't taste any chocolate malt so will leave this out for time being. How about this for a 23 L recipe?

Pale Malt 3.75 kg
Munich malt 0.55kg
Light crystal 360g
Medium crystal 240g
Dark crystal 120g
POR 25g at 60 min
cascade 20g at 10 min
cascade 20g at flame out
US 05 of Wyeast American Ale yeast (1056)
ABV = 4.7%, IBU = 27

I have grains for a wit brew to do next weekend so won't be able to try this for a while, but are there any comments or suggestions to improve this recipe?

I've been thinking about this. We know that
- 75% of grains are pale malt
- original recipe on the previous link shows 12% crystal malts
- POR used for bittering, and cascade for flavour/aroma (as an aside, I was at the Corner Hotel on Boxing Day, and had a few pots of hightail ale - IMHO, there was too a touch too much cascade)
Lets make a guess and say that the rest is munich malt. I don't taste any chocolate malt so will leave this out for time being. How about this for a 23 L recipe?

Pale Malt 3.75 kg
Munich malt 0.55kg
Light crystal 360g
Medium crystal 240g
Dark crystal 120g
POR 25g at 60 min
cascade 20g at 10 min
cascade 20g at flame out
US 05 of Wyeast American Ale yeast (1056)
ABV = 4.7%, IBU = 27

I have grains for a wit brew to do next weekend so won't be able to try this for a while, but are there any comments or suggestions to improve this recipe?

hmm im no expert but that looks like alot of crystal (though i am an extract brewer so never get good attenuation) anyone gonna give it a try??

hmm im no expert but that looks like alot of crystal (though i am an extract brewer so never get good attenuation) anyone gonna give it a try??

I recall seeing somewhere on this site a quote from Chuck Hahn to the effect that JS Amber Ale is 20% crystal - so 12% in the recipe above is not excessive. Certainly more than usual, but I guess its what makes these 2 brews stand out from other packaged beers. They are not dissimilar, and probably my favourite beers at this time, despite having been a dedicated Tooheys Old drinker for the past 25 years.

Regards

No idea on the accuracy of the recipes below, but I copied them down from somewhere in the past...

Mountain Goat pale ale :

Fresh hallertau is the key with JWM export pilsner malt and wyeast 1028 london ale yeast. I have done it a few times with wyeast 1272 aswell and that comes up a treat. You have to keep the mash temp low, would not go above 66c unless your know your yeast will get down to 1.012-1.013 with a higher mash temp.

all hops are hallertau pellets at 4.2%a.a

recipe for 25 litres at 1.046 finishing at 1.013, 30 IBU, 6 EBC and 75% Effiency mashed at 66c

5.20 kg JWM Export Pilsner
31g Hallertau 60 min
31g Hallertau 30 min
20g Hallertau 10 min
20g Hallertau 5 min

Mountain Goat IPA:

4.25 kg Weyermann Pilsner (4 EBC) Grain 81.0 %
1.00 kg Weyermann Munich I (16 EBC) Grain 19.0 %
15.00 gm Pacific Gem [14.4%](60 min)Hops 32.3IBU
10.00 gm Pacific Gem [14.4%](15 min)Hops 5.7 IBU
10.00 gm Pacific Gem [14.4%](2 min)Hops 3.6 IBU
Wyeast Labs #1056

OG 1050
IBU's 38

Hightail ale :

5.00 kg Barret Burstons Ale Malt (6 EBC) Grain 93.8 %
0.25 kg Caramunich II (124 EBC) Grain 4.7 %
0.08 kg TF Chocolate Malt (940 EBC) Grain 1.5 %
35.00 gm Cascade [4.5%] (60 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
35.00 gm Cascade [4.5%] (30 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [4.5%] (10 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [4.5%] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) Yeast-Ale

25 litres at 1.050, 32 IBU, 25EBC.

I know that it used to be liquid 1056 and they switched to us-05. That was info from the source about a year ago. I did used to know the malts that went into it too but I've forgotten. Might be able to find out though.

That's interesting, I was always under the impression that Mountain goat used 1028 in their beers. Have a look at post #6 in this thread...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...goat\+1028

That's from Dave himself...so they've obviously changed the yeast since that post?

Interesting use of light med and dark crystal, might try something similar in my next recipe. These guys make great beer, would love to have it on tap at my local instead of horrid mega swill.
Wonderful of them to be forthcoming with their expertise too.

Rob Hart Says:
July 8th, 2008 at 2:46 am

Nice! always good to see a bit of history it’s a bit hard to read
but this is what i can decipher:

Mountain Goat Beer

- nutty fruity?
- malty?
- low bitterness?
- dry hop?
og 1045 fg 1015

87% Pale Malt
6% Light Crystal
4% Medium Crystal
2% Dark Crystal
1% Chocolate Malt

Mash @ 68*c

3 hour long boil

1kg Cascade 60 min
250g Cascade

looking at making this a house brew emailed mountain goat today asking for help (hopefully i'll get some tips)

did anyone end up making this???? howd it go... etc etc

Personally for the malt bill I would go the following is 75% pale is the required.

75% Pale
10% Munich
8% Light Crystal
5% Med Crystal
2% Carafa Special II

Yum.

I dont see how the hightale has cascade in it... Maybe the Pale but not the hightail!

cheers
so would light crystal be JW Cara 40L
and medium JW crystal 60L
and dark JW dark crystal 120L
?
ow and im an extract brewer so im not gonna include the munich but might add some toasted malt/ JW amber

No idea on the accuracy of the recipes below, but I copied them down from somewhere in the past...

those are old recipes for how the beers were a couple years ago, the IPA is the drunk arabs recipe and the other two are mine. The IPA has changed totally as it used to be a pale almost straw coloured beer with pacific gem, now it seems to be a golden coloured beer with maybe cascade.

I haven't tried the pale ale in a long time so no idea if thats still the same but the hightail seems pretty much the same still, the idea of mixing up different crystal malts sounds good.

Can't see how you can't see its cascade in hightail DJ.

Back