Mountain Goat Hightail Ale - Ag Recipe Suggestion?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those are old recipes for how the beers were a couple years ago, the IPA is the drunk arabs recipe and the other two are mine. The IPA has changed totally as it used to be a pale almost straw coloured beer with pacific gem, now it seems to be a golden coloured beer with maybe cascade.

I haven't tried the pale ale in a long time so no idea if thats still the same but the hightail seems pretty much the same still, the idea of mixing up different crystal malts sounds good.

Can't see how you can't see its cascade in hightail DJ.

I thought the same thing about the IPA. The first time I had it years and years ago, it was really pale, looked almost like a witbier with the amount of haze, but really bitter. Now it's definately more golden/amber, quite clear and I don't think as bitter.

I'm not sure how he can't see the cascade in hightail either, I thought it was right out there. It's definately not in the pale, even the bottle says the pale's made with hallertauer.

James

maybe I'm missing something.. Had 5 of these on Sunday, didnt strike me as Cascade..

I'm sure I'm wrong, maybe just my un-edumacated palate!!! :wacko:

maybe I'm missing something.. Had 5 of these on Sunday, didnt strike me as Cascade..

I'm sure I'm wrong, maybe just my un-edumacated palate!!! :wacko:

You haven't built up a tolerance to cascade have you? :lol:

How much cascade's in the APA you have on tap?

It's not the most overpowering use of cascade I've ever tasted. It's not LCPA (not a fan BTW).

You haven't built up a tolerance to cascade have you? :lol:

How much cascade's in the APA you have on tap?

It's not the most overpowering use of cascade I've ever tasted. It's not LCPA (not a fan BTW).

the darker malts also helps to lessen the Cascade's impact somewhat...

Brendo

What style would this come under, for the Beersmith style guide? I wish they had Aussie Ale

What style would this come under, for the Beersmith style guide? I wish they had Aussie Ale

At a guess I'd say american amber ale, can't think of what else it would fit in.

cheers
so would light crystal be JW Cara 40L
and medium JW crystal 60L
and dark JW dark crystal 120L
?
ow and im an extract brewer so im not gonna include the munich but might add some toasted malt/ JW amber

That would be close. From memory, light(caramalt) = 20L, medium(crystal) = 40L, dark(crystal) = 80L

If you are not using munich because you use extract, theres no point in using toasted malts like amber or melanoiden as they need to be mashed to convert. All you will do is add unconverted starch to your beer. If you want that toasty quality, just add a pinch of chocolate.

I made one up for Beersmith. i can add it as an attachment to this post when i get home if you want steve!

I just come up with this, I think I will give it a crack soon. As I mainly do Lagers I have never done a good Ale.

Aussie Bitter
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 31.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Gear
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4500.00 gm Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 82.57 %
400.00 gm Crystal Malt - Pale (Thomas Fawcett) (55.2 EBC) Grain 7.34 %
300.00 gm Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (94.6 EBC) Grain 5.50 %
200.00 gm Crystal Malt - Dark (Thomas Fawcett) (165.5 EBC) Grain 3.67 %
50.00 gm Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 0.92 %
25.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.60 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.44 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.49 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 27.3 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 26.4 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 5450.00 gm
Sparge Water: 14.42 L Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.74 L of water at 75.2 C 68.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 9.16 L of water at 88.7 C 75.6 C

I just come up with this, I think I will give it a crack soon. As I mainly do Lagers I have never done a good Ale.

Looks bloody good to me, ~15% crystal should give you a fair whack of flavour. You might get a high finishing gravity with that much crystal and a 68C mash. How well does SafAle American Ale attenuate? Never used that yeast. It looks like something I'm planning for 1272.

James

My extract clone will be this

2.5kg DME
300 Light crystal
200 Medium crystal
100 Dark crystal
50 chocolate malt

Hopped to 25 IBU

Will experiment with hops maybe one with all cascade then next all galaxy and then maybe a combo (galaxy more just because i heard there fancy pants amber uses it and is amazing) :icon_chickcheers:

Looks bloody good to me, ~15% crystal should give you a fair whack of flavour. You might get a high finishing gravity with that much crystal and a 68C mash. How well does SafAle American Ale attenuate? Never used that yeast. It looks like something I'm planning for 1272.

James
I would normally use Wyeast but the ol US-05 does a good job, just ask most of the micro's around the world who do ales. Anyway it would not be abnormal to expect 77%-78% attenuation with this bad boy. As I said my Ales leave a lot to be desired so I need to get back to basics and stop the dry hopping in the keg and the 4 grains + Flaked Maise and just do a Ale malt + Crystal and two hop additions with a std yeast.
Boy, let me make a Lager any day over this stuff ;)
I got my hands on some Galaxy hops so I may try them with this one too!

i got my reply back from mountain goat quite interesting as its differant from the vintage ales recipe and some others stated so far here it is

Hi Phil, Thanks for your email, we always love to hear from Goat stokers around the place. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so consider us flattered! The Hightail is roughly 88% Traditional Ale malt as a base, 8% pale crystal malt and 3% medium crystal malt for some body, colour and biscuity goodness with about 1% roast malt for some colour and a touch of roast character. We bitter with Pride of Ringwood and use Cascade as our aroma hops. I hope this helps! Cheers and beers,Jayne

i got my reply back from mountain goat quite interesting as its differant from the vintage ales recipe and some others stated so far here it is

Hi Phil, Thanks for your email, we always love to hear from Goat stokers around the place. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so consider us flattered! The Hightail is roughly 88% Traditional Ale malt as a base, 8% pale crystal malt and 3% medium crystal malt for some body, colour and biscuity goodness with about 1% roast malt for some colour and a touch of roast character. We bitter with Pride of Ringwood and use Cascade as our aroma hops. I hope this helps! Cheers and beers,Jayne

Top work pmolou. Really well done.

I've got Hazards sugested recipe in the secondary and due to come out tomorrow. Not too far off the mark it seems:

Pale Malt 3.75 kg
Munich malt 0.55kg
Light crystal 360g
Medium crystal 240g
Dark crystal 120g
POR 25g at 60 min
cascade 20g at 10 min
cascade 20g at flame out
US 05 of Wyeast American Ale yeast (1056)
ABV = 4.7%, IBU = 27

Trouble is G&G have no POR :eek: and haven't for long while :eek: :eek: . Used Northdown as that was really the only option on the day. The fridge there is looking very bare.
Tasting the samples I probably could have upped the Cascade. Still experimenting with cube hopping. We'll see after it's mellowed out for a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Paul

keep us updated i'm keen to hear how this turns out before i brew mine :super:

Hey Guys,

for those interested here's a bit more of a deciphered version of the Vintage Hightail Ale Recipe

Cheers Rob.

Mountain Goat Beer
- mildly fruity
- malty - scotch ale like (caramalisation)
- low bitterness (20-25)
- slight hop aroma/flavour possible
OG ~ 1045 FG ~1015

87% Pale malt 156kg
6% Light crystal 10.8kg
4% Medium crystal 7.2kg
2% Dark crystal 3.6kg
1% Chocolate malt 1.8kg
Mash @ 69

3hr long boil

1kg Cascade @ 60 mins
250g Cascade soak

Danstar Manchester yeast

------------------------------------------------------------
11kg
~~~~
9.57 Pale
.66 60
.44 125
.22 260
.11 1100 (?? crossed out, replaced with 50g?)
2630 CAS (?? some calculation, can anyone understand this?)
=80g + 20g soak
25BU=(X x 6.1% x 35%)/9000

Mine came out OK. It was close, but def too much crystal. I also couldn't get any POR. The recipe advice the brewery sent to Pmplou should nail it.

I NC & this time I came up short on Cascade flavour. Will adjust for next brew.

Very good drop though. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Latest posts

Back