Mountain Goat Goes Randall

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate that must kill your for brewing! Are you brewing GF or high adjunct beers at home?

I have done a few high adjunct brews but not for the reason of lowering gluten levels in the beer. I can get away alright with having a beer every now and then, but dont drink enough to warrant brewing anymore.

righttttttttttt.....................!

off to the goat just now with troy to smash this randall and some pizzas! friday night action!

hopefully not too sore tommorow. BOHdiddlyOH!

Hopefully its kickass fents. let us know how it goes brother!

well that was a bit fullon! got there and it was ramm jamm! standing room only...packed! only stayed for one beer but we made sure it was a hightail ale through the randall. bloody hoppy. but in a good way. burping hops for the next 15mins. was great i loved it. (no photos sorry it was packed). couldnt even get a table or a pizza.

so we headed to the royston just up the street, what a great little bar.

heres what we had :

Hargreaves ESB
Red Hill hop Harvest
2 Brothers Chief
Temple Pale Ale
Hargreaves ESB
and one more i forget.

Parmas were a bit of a letdown tho.

well that was a bit fullon! got there and it was ramm jamm! standing room only...packed! only stayed for one beer but we made sure it was a hightail ale through the randall. bloody hoppy. but in a good way. burping hops for the next 15mins. was great i loved it. (no photos sorry it was packed). couldnt even get a table or a pizza.

so we headed to the royston just up the street, what a great little bar.

heres what we had :

Hargreaves ESB
Red Hill hop Harvest
2 Brothers Chief
Temple Pale Ale
Hargreaves ESB
and one more i forget.

Parmas were a bit of a letdown tho.

Gotta go the steak with chips and garlic butter at The Royston - soooooooo good with some hoppy pale ale or IPA.

It's funny, I went on Wednesday and it was opposite. Mountain Goat was pretty quiet but The Royston was packed.

Finally got to try this Randall thingomebob.

Was expecting a bigger hop hit after the comments above and even the bar staff warned me - but it wasn't as huge as I would have anticipated. Might be cos my homebrews are going into hop overload of late.

The beer was yum though. And having a couple of teeny green hop 'floaters' in my beer was an added bonus! :D

Tried the goat's Steam Beer Ale too. Very light smooth and dry - later on a nice sweetness to it. Quite an interesting beer - you'd be excused for thinking it was a lager it was so crisp.

Personally though I love the pale and the hightail goats - bring on the Cascade hops!

Hopper.

Here now having one :)

Bit grassy/vegetal as you'd expect with fresh flowers but has heaps of cascade pine needle taste & aroma.

Beer's a tad cold though - maybe i should put it right near a heater

Went to the goat on Wed night, unfortunately that was the first night they changed from galaxy to cascade apparently. It was also pale and not hightail. :(

I'm not a fan at all, tastes like artificial watermelon. I have a Randall with cascade flowers and its the same. Was looking forward to trying Galaxy.

Went to the goat on Wed night, unfortunately that was the first night they changed from galaxy to cascade apparently. It was also pale and not hightail. :(

I'm not a fan at all, tastes like artificial watermelon. I have a Randall with cascade flowers and its the same. Was looking forward to trying Galaxy.

Oh well, i thought it tasted OK, not everyone is a fan of cascade really. I didn't get the watermelon, maybe it needed a bit of time in the randall to work out that flavour or something?

I wonder how often they will change it - might go and ask at the bar....

When I was there in late may the goat boys had some of their rapunzel brewing too. Big begian strong ale, that did quite well at some beer awards lately.

Was wanting to give it ago but they pointed to the fermenter and said it's in there! One of the brewers said it would be out in three weeks. It's almost 3 weeks on since I went so anyone going to the Goat this week or next report back if rapunzel is on at the Goat bar - wouldn't mind a taste of this one. Be interesting to see if they've tried to go close to a Duvel or do something of their own with the style.

Hopper.

Hopping - The rapunzel was on tap at teh goat on Friday night. I think it might even have been the first keg tapped. they ran out of the Steam beer at about 9:00pm and tapped a keg of the Rapunzel.

Don't expect a Duvel. I dont think that's what they are trying for. Its much more Belgian Blond ale rather than Strong Golden Ale. Quite fruity (bananas and apples) and for mine has a bit of a vegetal edge that I dont like, not DMS I think but yeast derived. The last Rapunzel was a bit average when it first came out - but got a lot better as it aged. I'm guessing this will be the same.

Back on topic for this thread --- the randal.

On Friday they had it full of coffee beans and were running the Surefoot stout through it - now that was intense and really good. It gave the stout a massive hit of vanilla and a beautiful creamy mouthfeel with of course a stack of coffee flavour - but none of the bitter characteristics of coffee at all. Must be because it was all happening cold.

Really nice, really full on. Great use of the randall.

TB

Latest posts

Back