Mouldy Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarryd

Reaction score
Hey guys (and girls if any)
Did a quick search and couldn't find any info.
I went to a mates yesterday and picked up about 100 empties. The problem is most have little mold spots in them, nothing to serious but they're there. Would a good soak/scrub with sanitiser be fine in freeing them of mold for good? If not any tips or tricks you might have?

This worked for me with filthy bottles that a bottle brush and boiling water couldnt dislodge the crap.

Fill up your bath with hot water, put the bottles in there, and empty a tub of homebrand napi treatment in there.

Leave overnight and then rinse and scrub any residue.

I find that letting it soak in plain water for a week or so also helps. Most of it just comes loose, and what doesn't is usually easy to dislodge with the bottle brush. I just make stubborn ones soak longer.

I triple the bleach motion.
Just fill up your bath tub or a big clean plastic garbage bin with a few cups of unscented household bleach (generics are very good, cheap too) and cold water and submerge every bottle until not a single air bubble remains. Then come back a week later. This process removes everything, labels, glue, dirt, mould etc. Just rinse them off and follow your regular sterilization proceedure before you fill 'em up with brew.

Nothing wrong with the homebrand napisan too, its about $3-4 a jar if i recall correctly; I'm not sure how much bleach goes for but napisan does work.

almost the same thing i think, bleach and napisan

Best thing is washing powder with bleach for stuff like this.

An overnight soak and anything will come of as long as the solution is strong enough.

cheers
johnno

Ive only tried nappysan, never tried bleach. anything that can get the stain of my kids nappies has to be able to kill and clean anything. I use an old garbage bin. the bi doubles as a empty bottle container

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. The bathtubs filling as i write this :super:

I have had to clean lots of mold out of bottles before too, it sucks :(
Now I try and remember to rinse out every bottle of beer after drinking it, and get my dad to do the same.

Another possible solution to bleach is using a high pressure hose/cleaner thing. I gave this a go with some filthy old bottles the other weekend and found that the pressure gets rid of most if not all crap out of the bottom of the bottles. It was fairly quick and easy too. Then with some of the stubborn ones, a quick scrub with the bottle brush afterwards to make sure nothing was left.
I also bought a bottle brush with a tipped end bit, like an extra little brush on the end. Its great for cleaning little bits off the bottom of bottles.

With napisan you can rinse it in cold water and you only have to rinse it very lightly.

With bleach you have to rinse it about 6 hundred times with hot water to get rid of the smell.

I know which I rather!

With napisan you can rinse it in cold water and you only have to rinse it very lightly.

With bleach you have to rinse it about 6 hundred times with hot water to get rid of the smell.

I know which I rather!

hence the reason for using unscented bleaches, personally i just use plain water as previously mentioned and let them soak for a few days and in most cases the mould or whatever is soft enough to be dislodged with the bottle brush if it hasnt already fallen off...

All my kegs are full so i have to clean some very mouldy bottles. Im going to take the napisan challenge :D

Do i just dilute the product as per instructions on the pack or i do i make it stronger than usual?

cheers kingy

i just go for a teaspoon per longneck. works well for me :D

ok this napisan stuff is the bees nees compared to brewing detergent. It just passed the test of cleaning heavily moulded bottles.

Keg just ran dry, did i read some where that i shouldnt use this on kegs?

or can i just go for it

cheers kingy

Latest posts

Back