Did I over prime?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Brews

Reaction score
đź‘‹, new member, long time reader of AHB. I have a couple of question regarding a recent USA IPA I brewed and bottled. Some general info to help:

Volume: 16L in primary fermenter

Time: 3 weeks primary fermenting at avg 18-20 degrees.

Dry Hopped: I dry hopped 4 days before bottling. Had to open the fermenter and put in the hop bag, did it as quick as possible.

Priming sugar: I used dextrose, worked it out based on 16L, worked out to about 102.9g of dextrose. I used second fermenter to rack the beer. When I racked it only 14L ended up in the second fermenter.

So my question is, will it be a big problem that I primed for 16L but only 14L came through?

Also I noticed a strong nail polish remover smell from the bottling fermenter after it was empty but not from the primary fermenter. Could this be a problem?

I bottle these yesterday 3rd of July 2021. Planning to keep them in the bottles fir 2 weeks before opening.They are covered with towels incase of explosions.

Any thoughts on the over priming / nail polish smell and the survival of my brew?

Ok, Dextrose is 91% fermentable (balance is water) every gram of fermentable sugar yields about 0.48g of CO2.
You put 103g of dextrose in so you are adding 103*0.91*.048 = 44.99g of CO2 (call it 45g)
In 14L of beer you are adding 45/14 = 3.2g/L of CO2
If we go and have a look at a carbonation table (Braukaiser) at ~20oC your residual CO2 content is 1.7g/L
Add the two together and we get 4.9g/L (About 2.5 Volumes for the Luddites), for an IPA well an American Ale the recommended range (foot of table) is 4.4-5.4g/L. You are pretty much smack in the middle so I suspect you won’t have any problems with over carbonation. In fact personally I would like a bit more fizz in an IPA, I find it just lifts the hop aromas out of the glass a bit more (personal taste).
Mark

Oh on the Nail Polish, not really related to priming, usually a yeast management problem.
1625384932452.png

Last edited:
@MHB, thanks for the reply and link to the Braukaiser table! You’ve put my mind at ease, and now knowing I’m sitting in the middle, CO2 wise, I’m happy I racked 14L and not the full 16L, I also like a little bit more fizz.

Re the nail polish remover smell, I guess I’ll just have to see how it tastes. Could just be a batch gone bad and I’ll have to start over. Cheers. I’ll be sure to post an update on how it turns out.

Back