Mouldy Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should be fine for kegs.

never use bleach on them though, will pit them

napisan and bleach = bad for s/s

spectacular for plastic and glass, well, napisan anyway.

Isn't Napisan basically the same as bleach?

Not necessarily. Chlorine bleach is sodium hypochlorite, but some other bleaches do include sodium percarbonate which is the active ingredient in napisan.

I use napisan for all sorts of cleaning. Can I use it on my aluminium brew kettle though? :unsure:

Two words:

PINK STAIN

neo-pink and those kinda things usually have a little bit of writing down the bottom saying "active ingredient- sodium percarbonate" which is the basis of napisan.

I put my Bottles in the Dishwasher on the 'Pots and Pans' setting. They come out clean as, and because the bottles are on the bottom of the Dishwasher only, you can still run a normal top load. Just remember to remove labels from the bottles, as they tend to catch on fire when the Dishwasher is drying.

My SWMBO doesn't like it, but my bottles are always clean.

Dishwasher works fine for me to remove minor amounts, but any bottles I find with serious amounts of funk in them go directly into the recycle bin. Then bottles get the normal clean and sanitizing on bottling day.

I'm really looking forward to getting onto kegging.

I soak any funky bottles in bleach or pink stain solution. Usually works. Otherwise I have cut the plastic handle off a bottle brush and I shove this brush in the cordless drill and give each bottle a buzz with a little bit of the solution in the bottom. This will clean any bottle.

Dishwasher works fine for me to remove minor amounts, but any bottles I find with serious amounts of funk in them go directly into the recycle bin. Then bottles get the normal clean and sanitizing on bottling day.

I'm really looking forward to getting onto kegging.

Tell me about it. My Mate (who I started brewing with) has Kegs at his place (where we brew mostly), but I'm not allowed them at my place. I think a secluded weekend for the SWMBO and her mother might be in order so I can get my bar and Kegs put in.

I've been lucky with my bottles. I found them by chance one afternoon (Junk Cleanup), and as it turns out, they were used for Tomato Sauce, so they were all clean. My Collection is getting bigger and bigger, but I'm starting to brew more also. They all went into the Old Dishwasher, and came up great. I still Sodium Meted them, and haven't had any contamination issues at all.

If you can be bothered going to the effort one idea is
get a 2 foot length of copper pipe and attach it to the tap and then bending the copper pipe so it points up
Then crimp the end of the the pipe till its almost closed. Then just sit the bottle upside down on the pipe and blast the hell out of all the mold/gunk in the bottle with water. Steralize as normal.
Very little to no stuff remains in the bottom of the bottle

just last night i did about 50 bottles with various amounts of growth..
left em to soak in the laundry tub for a couple of hrs, with a strong napisan solution and hot water. scrubbed out quickly with the bottle brush and rinsed under cold water, clean as a whistle.. squirt with iodophor and hang on the tree.

what a bitch of a job tho, and ive got another 100 odd left to do :/

I have a 60L bin ($10 from bunnings) sitting next to my brew fridge out the back full of a strong napisan solution.

Once I finish with my bottles I put them in there. Then when it comes to bottling I just need to give them a bit of a sanitise and its all good!

i did 80L of extract lager in 330ml bottles, bring on the bottling bitching stories!

I have cut the plastic handle off a bottle brush and I shove this brush in the cordless drill and give each bottle a buzz with a little bit of the solution in the bottom. This will clean any bottle.

Haha nice one MacGyver/Tim Taylor.

Back