Mould or something?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhart

Reaction score
Have had trouble with wild yeast in a couple of brews so I ditched the fermenter I'd been using and brewed a double batch outside. Half went into new bunnings fermenters - kegged yesterday seems fine- the other half in another fermenter I haven't used much. Everything was meticulously cleaned but went to keg this lot today and found this white growth on top... Smells crap tastes ok should I throw it out or keg?? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1450605144.033918.jpg

That looks pretty bad mate. I would not want to bottle and drink it.

If brewing outdoors I use boiling water to rinse all the gear and starsan my hands to limit infections.

When adding the wort to fermenter you need to limit the exposure time and get the lid on ASAP to stop infections.

I have never had infections so, I am not 100 % if you should dump it.

Brewhart said:
Have had trouble with wild yeast in a couple of brews so I ditched the fermenter I'd been using and brewed a double batch outside. Half went into new bunnings fermenters - kegged yesterday seems fine- the other half in another fermenter I haven't used much. Everything was meticulously cleaned but went to keg this lot today and found this white growth on top... Smells crap tastes ok should I throw it out or keg??
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1450605144.033918.jpg
Looks very nasty to me and I would ditch it.
Can you give more info on what you posted when you said " wild yeast", do you know how this happened.
Could it have been a windy day and some shite ended up in the brew or fermenter when transferring ?
1/2 of the double batch went into keg ( drinkable)and the other 1/2 into a fermenter,why into a fermenter ?
As you posted all the gear was cleaned,for such a thing to happen was the lid on the fermenter fitted correctly or do you use GladWrap as a lid ? If so did it cover the entire top and was it sealed correctly.
Yep , questioning a problem may not help but it does.

Smelt a bit off from fermenter but ok from tap. It was fine when I dry hopped it 3 days earlier. I filled a 10l keg ditched the other 30..

Some things that may grow need light so fermenting in the dark is probably a good idea is the fermenter exposed to sunlight.

Brewhart said:
Have had trouble with wild yeast in a couple of brews so I ditched the fermenter I'd been using and brewed a double batch outside. Half went into new bunnings fermenters - kegged yesterday seems fine- the other half in another fermenter I haven't used much. Everything was meticulously cleaned but went to keg this lot today and found this white growth on top... Smells crap tastes ok should I throw it out or keg??
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1450605144.033918.jpg
wasn't that just a Yeast raft ?

I use latex gloves or similar for those times you touch things that can contact your beer. You can sanitize your hands waring new gloves but you cant sanitize your bare hands no matter how well you wash. That's just a fact. $0.02.
When transferring chilled wort into fermenter via (silicon hose that's been boiled) I place the lid on a well as possible then wrap (chux towel or boiled brew bags soaked in sanitizer) around the opening as a protective barrier.

Can you be too meticulous about sanitation for brewing? or food handling? no way in my opinion.
One bacteria turns into billions. That's what they do.

Latest posts

Back