Motueka/amarillo Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown_hound

Reaction score
Hey Fellas/ladies.

Just scrounging together some ingredients to put down a brew tomorrow...

Wanted to run this by you all...

What do you all think of the above combo?

Have just put down big Tony's LCBA clone... Love Motueka in terms of flavour and aroma.... As a result, I want to incorporate a fair bit of it into said Lager...

Having said that, I think Amarillo would compliment it quite nicely....

Only have JW Exp Pils, JW Vienna, and Carapils on hand...

Was after a fairly clean lager without too much malt character or bitterness, probably 25-30 IBU's... Focusing mainly on hop flavour and aroma... No esters either, so temp-wise as low as W34/70 will go...

Mash low? 64ish?

Any suggestions? Anyone brewed something along these lines?

Thanks in advance....

Hound

I can't comment on a lager; I'm yet to test myself in that department, though I am currently getting through a keg of Amarillo and BSaaz APA (Amarillo for bittering, BSaaz for flavour and flameout) The hop flavour and aroma is a massive hit of mango and pawpaw, great combination! One I will definitely use again.
Cheers, John.

easy....... make the LCBA but drop the wheat and carapils for pilsner malt. Id go 75% pils, 25% vienna to help the hops pop.

Hop it with Motueka and Amarillo as per the LCBA schedule.

mash it at 64 for sure... will make it nice and dry once again, help the hops pop.

I made the LCBA clone once with B saaz and amarillo and it was great. Lots of spicy peppery passionfruit.

give it a go!

I just did an APA with Bsazz and Amarillo equal amounts from start to finish, its a very tasty combo indeed.

I've found yeast character is swamped by using buckets of whiffy hops like Amarillo late - it could be a lager or an ale, especially if you've been using a clean ale yeast like US05 and have switched to 34/70.

You'll get sulphur in the fermenter but apart from that the beer will be very similar with an ale or a lager yeast.

my last brew was a pilsner but I realised on the day that I have half as much Saaz as I needed and so I beefed it up with Amarillo - lagering right now but last time I tried it, it was tasting pretty cool.... maybe Amarillo is under-rated as an addition to new-world lagers?

Hey Fellas/ladies.

Just scrounging together some ingredients to put down a brew tomorrow...

Wanted to run this by you all...

What do you all think of the above combo?

Have just put down big Tony's LCBA clone... Love Motueka in terms of flavour and aroma.... As a result, I want to incorporate a fair bit of it into said Lager...

Having said that, I think Amarillo would compliment it quite nicely....

Only have JW Exp Pils, JW Vienna, and Carapils on hand...

Was after a fairly clean lager without too much malt character or bitterness, probably 25-30 IBU's... Focusing mainly on hop flavour and aroma... No esters either, so temp-wise as low as W34/70 will go...

Mash low? 64ish?

Any suggestions? Anyone brewed something along these lines?

Thanks in advance....

Hound

i regularly make hoppy lagers, and use wyeast 2252 rasenmaher lager yeast

i find this yeast works really good for a hoppy beer, its quite neutral, but balances malt & hops perfectly

i am happy to give you a vial of the yeast for you to build up a starter

I was at the Pine Rivers club the other night and the guy who won the Nats with his Bo Pils (Lyall, who came second the previous two years as well) had a Bo Pils hopped with Motueka and late Saaz. Spectacular.

Thanks all for your replies...

Put this brew down yesterday @ 85/15 percent pils/Vienna... Mashed low at 64

Motueka/Amarillo in equal amounts for bittering, flavor additions... Upto 29ibu

At flameout, 25g more b-saaz, 10g Amarillo, 15 cascade...

Pretty happy with the look and taste/aroma of the wort... Looking forward to this one...

First brew in the new chest freezer- fermenting fairly low at 11 deg....

Latest posts

Back