Morgans Lager Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark68

Reaction score
I have just put down my latest brew,a morgans blue mountain lager,but am confused about there so called lager yeast.On the packet it says to ferment at 15 to 30 degrees celsius,which should be ale yeast territory,is this yeasta true lager yeast or a mix like coopers yeast,which is half and half lager and ale? <_<

I'd go as far as to say it's a full ALE yeast.
A lot of companies call them "Lager", but they ain't.
If you want a try lager style, use a true lager yeast

I have heard around the traps that Morgans(I think) is releasing a series of yeasts, not too dissimilar to the Fermentis range...

Dunkel_Boy said:
Saflager/Fermentis s34/70 is an excellent one.
[post="116664"][/post]​

i've used the W34/70 with excellent results @ temps as low as 10*C.

yard

w34/70 - that's the one. Rudi at Cheers in Spring Hill says the 'w' stands for Weihenstephan(er), and he was apparently one of the first to get a decent supply of it (in block form). Nice guy, incredibly knowledgeable. Excellent beers, IMHO slightly underhopped.

I have just put down my latest brew,a morgans blue mountain lager,but am confused about there so called lager yeast.On the packet it says to ferment at 15 to 30 degrees celsius,which should be ale yeast territory,is this yeasta true lager yeast or a mix like coopers yeast,which is half and half lager and ale?

It is a lager yeast, but their instructions are the greatest ... fear of ruling anyone out means the temps they quote are wide and vague.

I have heard around the traps that Morgans(I think) is releasing a series of yeasts, not too dissimilar to the Fermentis range...

And indeed they have under the name of Brew Cellar ... infact they are Saf yeasts that they have package themselves but in 15g sachets ... good value really.

15gm, now we're talking.

any idea of price ?

cheers

I've gotten hold of some saflager s23 that i'm going to use in winter,but i don't know what it's properties are.according to the homebrew shop bloke it brews at 10 to 15 degrees,which is spot on the temp. here in adelaide in mid winter,so it should be a good choice. :D

i have emailed morgans about their lager yeast before. Grant Samson (the boss i think) phoned me back and said that it is a lager yeast but he didnt think that i should go much below 15deg when brewing with it.

i did mention to him that the 34/70 that i use goes to 10deg no problem.
he agreed, but said (in his opinion) all DRY lager yeasts do not behave like liquid lager yeats in that they wont keep working down at 2deg.

My experience with lager yeasts (only brewed about 15-20 lagers) says that he is right. ie. 34/70 never brews at 2deg but the two liquid lager yeasts i have used did keep brewing at 2 deg (for at least 2 weeks!)

it'd be good to hear others' thoughts on this.

by the way, as said earlier, Morgans are distributing all the saf yeasts under the "brewcellar" banner in 15g packs. last weekend i bought a pack of their european lager yeast (34/70) at Mikes homebrew at Beenleigh for $4.20

cheers
adam

You can tell that this is not a true lager yeast by the total absence of DMS fumes while it is brewing. :p

Could DMS be called a sulphur taste/smell? I was under the impression it was a cooked cabbage taste.

I found a mate who can taste/smell DMS. He got a massive headache when I boiled up my IPA the other day - didn't make the connection, but that must be it. He doesn't react kindly to James Squire IPA either - says it tastes horrible. Maybe it's laced with DMS?

adam said:
by the way, as said earlier, Morgans are distributing all the saf yeasts under the "brewcellar" banner in 15g packs. last weekend i bought a pack of their european lager yeast (34/70) at Mikes homebrew at Beenleigh for $4.20

cheers
adam
[post="116711"][/post]​

cheers for the info.

yard

Just as a matter of interest , I have been told that the Coopers brewmaster selection Pilsener also comes with a true lager yeast , certainly can smell the sulphur smell as soon as you open the fridge door when its fermenting.
Only comes in 7gr packs so I use 3 packs to a brew then reuse the yeast for 3 brews.

mark68 said:
I've gotten hold of some saflager s23 that i'm going to use in winter,but i don't know what it's properties are.according to the homebrew shop bloke it brews at 10 to 15 degrees,which is spot on the temp. here in adelaide in mid winter,so it should be a good choice. :D
[post="116707"][/post]​

Except that S23 makes a pretty fruity beer, not crisp enough for a lager IMHO
Try the 34/70 or the DIamond from whitelabs

Grabbed some 'Brew Cellar' American Ale yeast from Dave at Botany Home brew....Seems I got touched (hehehe) 15gm for $4.50( V 11.5gm Fermentis US-56 for $4.95!!!)

BTW Big Scoop over on the 'Mash Demo-randwick, See Leon Mash!' thread!!!!!

Latest posts

Back