Monster Mill Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the benefit of a 1/2" shaft anyway? It's only marginally thicker than 3/8" and drills tend to have variable chucks. Am I missing something?

Just marginally stronger I guess. But I am with you, 3/8" is plenty for what we use it for. I'd say its probably more to appease people who just flock to whoever has the biggest dimensions ( :ph34r: )...

What's the benefit of a 1/2" shaft anyway? It's only marginally thicker than 3/8" and drills tend to have variable chucks. Am I missing something?

Most standard pulleys that you would need to drive the mill with if you were using a motor come with a 1/2" bored hole for fitting onto said shaft.

C&B
TDA

Most standard pulleys that you would need to drive the mill with if you were using a motor come with a 1/2" bored hole for fitting onto said shaft.

C&B
TDA

Cheers, thought it could be something like that. So if you're using a drill it's probably over kill. Thus that's why it's optional in the first place. Makes sense.

Yeah sorry, I thought you were only talking about it in relation to using a drill. Obviously its a bit different if using a pully.

Yeah sorry, I thought you were only talking about it in relation to using a drill. Obviously its a bit different if using a pully.

nah you're right, i was trying to work out if it had a real purpose (ie fits motors easier) or if it's meant to be 'better' as in lasts longer, contributes to the grain crushing easier, stops the shaft from bending etc etc.

Try Pat from Absolute Home Brew St Marys/Faulconbridge. I got mine from him. After exchange rates, I dont think there would be much in it, and you support a local HBS.
Regards

True. But their site says they are out of stock. And I have already ordered anyways!

Just one thing to think of and that is if you are bulk buying be carefull on the total cost of your package entering Australia. In previous threads of bulk buying it seems the figure to keep the value under is $1000 Aus which also includes postage costs. I order from the states occasionally and use that figure as a rule of thumb. No hassles yet. It won't take to may mills to get the figure over $1000.
BYB

Yep, be careful with this.

Sammus, good to know postage is not included in the price under $1000 but it does not specifically state that on the website. only the other way around is clarified (if over $1000, duty includes importation, insurance, shipping etc taxes too).

Either way, just putting the feelers out.

Anyone in Melbourne interested in a bulk buy of these if i do the organising whilst the $AUD is still high? (MonsterMill)

The stipulations will be pickup only (i wont be schlepping around the state unless im in the area), money direct depositied before handover of goods, i wont accept cash (i dont want to be in the bank on my lunchbreaks :p). I can also meet in the CBD during weekdays for a handover.

Oh shit ive started something :p Maybe we should start a new topic. As this has been hijacked enough?

It is not marginally larger really.
In area it is just over 1 and 3/4 times as large. A big difference. If you were going to put a pulley on it, it is the way to go. And most drills will fit as well.

Cheers,
Bud

I use an 18v cordless drill on my Barley Crusher and it chews through the grain perfectly - the speed is almost perfect. I also have a 3 roller monster mill and haven't tried the cordless on that yet. I takes a fair mit more to run it though so a cordless drill may struggle a bit.

Another thing worth considering is the maximum shaft size that your drill can handle. No point "upgrading" to the 1/2" shaft if then you find your drill won't fit that size. I went the standard shaft (3/8" I think) and its fine. That said, most new corded drills I have seen in the shops can do 1/2".

I'm using a 18v cordless on my MM2, no issues after about 35 crushes.
My cordless does have a gear box and I run it in the low range. Also in low range my cordless has more torque than my elec drill.

QldKev

Sammus, good to know postage is not included in the price under $1000 but it does not specifically state that on the website. only the other way around is clarified (if over $1000, duty includes importation, insurance, shipping etc taxes too).

I think you read it wrong. Trust me, I do this all the time, and my business relies on this all the time. I thought it seemed pretty clear in the link I provided. "All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less." The value of the goods has nothing to do with shipping and insurance.

I guess I can see how you might not want to rely on it since it isn't stated specifically that shipping isnt part of the goods, but I rely on this fact every other day. I buy bulk lots of merchandise from the states, this stuff is expensive to ship. I stopped ordering when I dollar was in the dumps, but before then and now its back up I regularly order $800-900USD of product, which is costs about $600+ USD in to ship, and it's all clearly stated on the customs declaration and have never been pulled up, even though the total order is often around $1500USD.

I think you read it wrong. Trust me, I do this all the time, and my business relies on this all the time. I thought it seemed pretty clear in the link I provided. "All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less." The value of the goods has nothing to do with shipping and insurance.

I guess I can see how you might not want to rely on it since it isn't stated specifically that shipping isnt part of the goods, but I rely on this fact every other day. I buy bulk lots of merchandise from the states, this stuff is expensive to ship. I stopped ordering when I dollar was in the dumps, but before then and now its back up I regularly order $800-900USD of product, which is costs about $600+ USD in to ship, and it's all clearly stated on the customs declaration and have never been pulled up, even though the total order is often around $1500USD.

Yeah bud, i trust you. I jsut dont trust anything 'legal' especially when 'ignorance is not bliss'. Well atleast taht means i can try and order 5+ of them ;)

MM-3 1/2 - Used - $125

This is what Fred has available in scratch and dent/used items.
I'll get in on this if it's still available

Cheers
Yard

Yardy, are you still keen?

I'd be keen on either the NIB CrankandStein CGM-2A - old leftover. - $80 or the used MM3 for $120...without opening a can of worms or massive debate, can someone tell me the difference??? I'm using a marga at the mo and it takes forever to crush (hand cranking) 4kg of grain (20mins :eek: )

Rooting Kings, which one do you want?

I'm up for one of the rejects or maybe the MM2 without SS upgrade. That's provided I can go halves in the shipping cost as above.

The base MM2 with regular shaft and not in SS seems good enough? Anyone disagree?

Mark *******, are you still in?

Who wants either the NIB CrankandStein CGM-2A - old leftover. - $80 or the used MM3 for $120 depending on which one Rooting Kings wants?

I just want a mill. Yet to fully research but I can't see myself being too picky really.

Fourstar,

Put me down as tentatively interested pending price etc etc etc.

Can do pick up and bank transfer is no problem (I have a rich uncle who recently passed away in Nigeria, leaving me the total sums of $12,000,000 USD, just send me your bank details........ ;) )

Cheers SJ

Yep, be careful with this.

Either way, just putting the feelers out.

Anyone in Melbourne interested in a bulk buy of these if i do the organising whilst the $AUD is still high? (MonsterMill)

The stipulations will be pickup only (i wont be schlepping around the state unless im in the area), money direct depositied before handover of goods, i wont accept cash (i dont want to be in the bank on my lunchbreaks :p ). I can also meet in the CBD during weekdays for a handover.

Fourstar, I'd be insterested in a Melbourne bulk buy while the rates high

Cheers Darkman

Fourstar,

Put me down as tentatively interested pending price etc etc etc.

Can do pick up and bank transfer is no problem (I have a rich uncle who recently passed away in Nigeria, leaving me the total sums of $12,000,000 USD, just send me your bank details........ ;) )

Cheers SJ

Cool, I'd prefer it to be paid in diamonds and ammunition. I'll meet you in the bearing sea for exchange of goods! ;)

Fourstar, I'd be insterested in a Melbourne bulk buy while the rates high

Cheers Darkman

Cool,

Ok, guys once the list hits 5 people (including myself), i will enquire about the rate i can get for 5 including shipping and we can simply split the cost. Oh and this is for the bog standard MM-2 with the 3/8 driveshaft only. I dont plan on ordering different models etc as the pricing breakdown will go out the window (i also want minimal effort required for this task).

So far,

Fourstar
Supra-Jim
Darkman

Infact i will open up a new thread.

Continue discussions there :icon_cheers:

Smurf,

I will take either the CGM-2A or the used MM3, Do we have enough people to do this order now?

Cheers
DK

I'll get in on this if it's still available

Cheers
Yard

Yardy, are you still keen?

Rooting Kings, which one do you want?

Mark *******, are you still in?

Who wants either the NIB CrankandStein CGM-2A - old leftover. - $80 or the used MM3 for $120 depending on which one Rooting Kings wants?

Ok, so these will be getting posted to the Gold Coast if i am doing the ordering so will need to be picked up or additional postage to your addresses.

DK is in with the MM3 $120 (USD$141.50 incl. P&H) - Mark^******* is in MM2 $87 (USD$108.50 incl. P&H) Sharing postage of $43
I am in with a MM3-2.0 which needs to be posted by itself. I'm happy with that and will PM you guys to arrange payment. If Yardy and Rooting kings want in they better PM me

Howdy Guys,
Finally back from the deep dark office, and I want to apologize to one and all, I am dropping out of the bulk buy and am very sorry for any inconvenience caused. Long story short, rolled my work car and then been back and forth to Sydney on a new project for work and I just don't have the time.
Sorry guys.

Jay

Back