Monster Mill Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pfft as if im gunna look after it, my beer is going to have an awesome WD40 taste

I'd get this going guys, AUD has dropped 3c, who knows which way it'll continue.

Hi All,
Looking at buying a Monster Mill and they said they would give us 10% off for 4+ mills shipped to the same address, so were looking for interest from other brewers that might be keen. The shipping address will be Woolloongabba, Queensland.

Mill Link

Jay - MM2, 1/2" shaft and S/S upgrade
Troopadour - MM3, 1/2" shaft and S/S upgrade

Cheers,

Jay

Here is the shipping rates from the man himself.

The shipping cost is $43 USD each for any 2" mill, and $43 USD for two MM-2, or one MM-3 and a MM-2. Two MM-3 mills are over the 20 lb flat rate limit.

So, Here is how prices look at todays rates: -

MM2 - with 1/2" shalf and S/S upgrade - $172au
MM3 - with 1/2" shalf and S/S upgrade - $243au

MM2 - with S/S upgrade - $265au
MM3 - with S/S upgrade - $380au

Shipping - $46.70au

Jay

So for the lack of communications guys, I've been out of action for a few days. I will chase up MM and see what they've got as CS has done already and get some options............stay tuned.

Jay

Gday Jay,

any development on this ?

cheers
Yard

This still going on. NSWelshman here. Anyone from NSW interested in jumping on the bandwagon?

I have been looking at one. A discount if available might offset the postage down to Tassie. Shipping via UPS ground from the US is not cheap.

:)

I got a monster mill about 5-6 months back when the exchange rate was horrendous, and i paid using NZD so even worse for me, but it still only cost me all up $260NZD delivered to my door including a little extra I paid ($40) as a guy at a LHBS got it in for me, but still damn good value IMO

When I priced up the ones from craftbrewer I was gonna be looking at around $470 NZD plus landed!!

I got a monster mill about 5-6 months back when the exchange rate was horrendous, and i paid using NZD so even worse for me, but it still only cost me all up $260NZD delivered to my door including a little extra I paid ($40) as a guy at a LHBS got it in for me, but still damn good value IMO

When I priced up the ones from craftbrewer I was gonna be looking at around $470 NZD plus landed!!

Look at buying soon while Aussie dollar still strong - theMMs are great and well made. seen a few. Remember though you need to make your hopper and base plate too, so be prepared.

If like me you are lazy or useless with tools, can I suggest you can go to Beersmith site and look at a Barley Crusher. They arrive ready to work (hopper and base plate there). I bought one a few years back and was very happy with speed sent and quality of the machine. You'll need to get a quote for postage to Oz but be surprised if everything doesn't arrive posted to your door for less than $250. Google Beersmith and follow the link.

So you reckon the barley crusher is a good mill. Im pretty handy with the hands, and I like to make things. Im wanting something to last forever.

I've got a Barley Crusher and it works fine. It takes about one beer (hand cranked) to crush 5 kg of grain.

Ok. Ive been in touch with Brad from beersmith. And hes give me a total of -

$132.95 USD for the Barley crusher with a 15 pound hopper + $68 shipping. And said it would take about 2 weeks.

So roughly $200 USD shipped.

What do you think?

$132.95 USD for the Barley crusher with a 15 pound hopper + $68 shipping. And said it would take about 2 weeks.

What do you think?

Just one thing to think of and that is if you are bulk buying be carefull on the total cost of your package entering Australia. In previous threads of bulk buying it seems the figure to keep the value under is $1000 Aus which also includes postage costs. I order from the states occasionally and use that figure as a rule of thumb. No hassles yet. It won't take to may mills to get the figure over $1000.

BYB

Wow! Can I put a bid in for the used MM-2 1/2 at $87 please? (Yeah, correct, I'm a tight- *rse...)
If there's any hassle with numbers making up the order or going over freight mass, I'll defer, no probs.

Also, that's USD I guess? Not that there's a huge difference ATM.

Many thanks guys!

:icon_cheers:
Folks, I'll have to bail on this. As much as I'd love to shout myself an early Christmas present, I just can't do it at the moment. So sorry if that led you all up the garden path... Hope it works out for you all though! :)

Try Pat from Absolute Home Brew St Marys/Faulconbridge. I got mine from him. After exchange rates, I dont think there would be much in it, and you support a local HBS.
Regards

What do you think?

on the monster mill site it says you should use a corded drill to mill grain - will a decent cordless drill work?

I use an 18v cordless drill on my Barley Crusher and it chews through the grain perfectly - the speed is almost perfect. I also have a 3 roller monster mill and haven't tried the cordless on that yet. I takes a fair mit more to run it though so a cordless drill may struggle a bit.

Another thing worth considering is the maximum shaft size that your drill can handle. No point "upgrading" to the 1/2" shaft if then you find your drill won't fit that size. I went the standard shaft (3/8" I think) and its fine. That said, most new corded drills I have seen in the shops can do 1/2".

What's the benefit of a 1/2" shaft anyway? It's only marginally thicker than 3/8" and drills tend to have variable chucks. Am I missing something?

it seems the figure to keep the value under is $1000 Aus which also includes postage costs.

Nah I do it for my business all the time. The threshold is $1000 goods value, not including and postal or insurance charges. once the item value goes over $1000 you pay 5% customs duty, then the goods value plus shipping plus duty gets hit with another 10% GST.

See here if you're unsure.

Back