Modifying Temp Controlled Kettle Element?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiftung

Reaction score
Hi,

I acquired an electric kettle which I tested yesterday. I put 35l of water in and set it to the highest setting. It took 38mins to get to 70*C from 20*C

I pushed on to see how long it would take to get to boiling point but then it cut out at 80*C I would like to us it for my boil though?

Are these easily/cheaply modified?.

What brand/type is the kettle? 40L Urn?

post-45499-0-44841700-1474867013.jpg

It looks home made, but I could be wrong. Do you know what it was used for or how many watts the element is?

Yeah it could be homemade judging by the fittings it looks like it's been around a fair while too but I don't know of it's previous use. No idea of the wattage I'll open the control box tonight and see if there are any clues

If you only want to use it as a kettle it should be easy enough to bypass the thermostat so it boils. Probably best to get someone to take a look at the wiring anyway, particularly the earth to ensure its all ok before using it. Where did you acquire it?

I was intending to mash and boil so I'll try and replace the thermostat it think

Latest posts

Back