Minimum pot size for extract brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InterCooL

Reaction score
Hi everyone

After doing two pre-hopped "kit and kilo" (or similar) kits, I'm interested in trying extract brewing sometime in the future, maybe of the Christmas break while I have the time.

I have a 10L stock pot sitting around, is this too small?

The recommended sizes that I have found have been larger, but I am wondering if I can get away with just a 10L pot, 3/4 fill it for the boil, and make up the rest of the fluid in the fermenter from the tap.

Thanks
David

where you live? ok so I'm answering a question with a question. But if your in western sydney I'd give you a 19l BigW pot so question stands. (have a couple or three)... (not being used/taking up space)

That will be fine. Get yourself a copy of the spreadsheet which is in a sticky thread at the top. I started with a 7L pot.

The only thing you may want to do is set the HCF (Hop Concentration Factor) to Yes. The spreadsheet will let you know exactly how much extract to add to the water you boil. It's as easy as pie.

As above.

I make some pretty farking excellent extract brews with a 10lt stockpot on the stove, about a 7lt boil, realistically the maximum my anciant stove can actually handle anyway.

Get Ians spreadsheet, and as above, flick the HCF to yes. This will tell you how much extra you have to add to make up for the lack of boil volume.

Everything works out the same, I "chill" in the laundry sink, top it up with water from the fridge then tap water, throw the yeasties at it and wala, have beer.

If your like me and chill in a sink with just water, you need to keep in mind that the wurt will stay over the 80 degree threshold for hop isomorisation or whatever the **** the word is for longer, IE your bitterting times will be longer than you timed.... about 15 minutes for me this time of year, 10 in winter. Will depend on the temp of your local water temp, here in summer its in the mid 20's. .

I have had real good success substituting 60 min additions for 45 and throwing early additions in as im taking it off the stove and putting it in the sink to chill.

Kinda like no chill, but not quiet....

Cheers.

Thank you so much guys, I'll get the spreadsheet right away

I can't believe that someone is going to give me a 19L pot... :) :)

I do 5l boils for my 23l batches. Makes for faster cooling, ice & water in the sink and cold water straight into the pot after adding-malt cans

GNU said:
I do 5l boils for my 23l batches. Makes for faster cooling, ice & water in the sink and cold water straight into the pot after adding-malt cans
Is there any benefits to boiling with 10L oppose to smaller boils?

Whatever size you boil make sure you can get a nice rolling boil otherwise you'll be you ibu to be less then expected. I always use to do 8-10L boil in my little 13L pot I picked up and made some great beers although due to my shitty stove, just ended a bit less better then I wanted.

InterCooL said:
Is there any benefits to boiling with 10L oppose to smaller boils?
Only if you want to do a more bitter brew.

There is a maximum bitterness you can dissolve which is about 100ibu depending on who you ask.

If you want 30ibu in 20 litres you want to get 4x the bitterness in a 5 litre pot, which is about the max.

I do a 5 litre boil up to about 30ibu. For IPAs which are a lot bitterer (nice word) I up it to 10ish litres.

I just use a 7 ltr pot and do 6 ltr, 45 min boils, follow the spreadsheet with hop concentration factor on and get consistently good results

MastersBrewery said:
where you live? ok so I'm answering a question with a question. But if your in western sydney I'd give you a 19l BigW pot so question stands. (have a couple or three)... (not being used/taking up space)
Don't suppose you have another one your looking to get rid of cheaply are you mate?

I do, though neither have lids(although 30cm lids aren't too hard to find) might well be down your way early next week. Get back to you later in the week.

MB

MastersBrewery said:
I do, though neither have lids(although 30cm lids aren't too hard to find) might well be down your way early next week. Get back to you later in the week.

MB
Yeah I have a lid that will fit. Thanks a bunch mate.

Latest posts

Back