Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Auto close the taps?
I just use a rubber band, works well. Looped and taped to the disconnect side so she doesn't come off

mofox1 said:
Apparently poppet springs from the universal posts are the go... haven't tried it myself tho. Rubber bands FTW.
I have a few of these sitting about, will give a shot when my kit arrives

Not that stylish just yet. The 1.89 beerkat with modified lid to take gas from harris reg. Using the sodastream adapter from the bulk buy.

20170131_164423.jpg

20170131_164416.jpg

20170131_164357.jpg

Do different brand kegs fit different brand spears? Are they universal? Seeing lots of different deals around for different brand kegs and gear.

mattyg8 said:
Anyone have a link to the springs being used for auto close?
the image attached shows the spring i have used to auto close the bumby taps, they are poppet springs. they are a little stiff but do the job.

nosco said:
Do different brand kegs fit different brand spears? Are they universal? Seeing lots of different deals around for different brand kegs and gear.
as far as i know the mini kegs in this bulk buy from The Beer Can, are the same dimensions and thread as iKegger and BeerKat, the doubled walled 2L growlers(not part of the bulk buy) are a different thread, and wont work with the spears in the bulk buy.

4826-poppet-and-spring-for-universal-keg-poppet.jpg

All Things Homebrew said:
the image attached shows the spring i have used to auto close the bumby taps, they are poppet springs. they are a little stiff but do the job.

as far as i know the mini kegs in this bulk buy from The Beer Can, are the same dimensions and thread as iKegger and BeerKat, the doubled walled 2L growlers(not part of the bulk buy) are a different thread, and wont work with the spears in the bulk buy.
Cheers will pick one up

If using the Flow Control Shank Adaptors (keg king) poppet springs may be too long

SBOB said:
not 100% sure but there have been a few posts by others, though I assumed they would have chased it up with you directly like i did

thanks for responding to my email, hopefully the replacement will be all good. Can't fault the support/service from you.
still cant fault the service, but second replacement regulator received today has the same issues on its first use...Did a quick test when it arrived and there was flow, but connecting it to a QD the next day had it barely flowing...
Using it shows barely any flow and with no disconnect attached it seems only flow (barely) when just under 'Low' on the regulator with no output between 'low' and 'high'

I have one working regulator and a barely flowing one will work for dispensing (at a pinch), so I'm gonna chalk this up to fate and not bother hassling Mark for a replacement

Mark should have a few 'dodgy' regs now, so hopefully he can donate one to someone mechanically minded to pull apart and try and determine what the 'weak' link is for those of us that have had issues (Batz? ).. Im sure its somehow related to the the diaphragm the dial on top is connected to and somehow its not letting flow past, rather than the screwing in of the bulb and that opening...

It could be something I'm doing wrong and the other reg I have is just impervious to whatever I'm doing, but screwing in a bulb and a QD and snapping it onto the keg seems pretty simple to me :)

Saw these on ebay and would mind a couple.

Much easier to take to parties etc than the 20L kegs, and can fit an an esky easier. Great for camping, which we do a lot of.

Was thinking a couple fo these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5L-Beer-Stainless-Steel-Mini-Keg-Growler-Mini-Keg-Style-Home-Brew-Brewing-NEW-/302054226546?hash=item4653d5ba72:g:kBoAAOSwZVlXwULr
and these for ball lock posts http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless-Steel-Beer-Dispenser-Replace-For-Mini-Keg-Homebrew-Spear-Craft-Beer/192099943120?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D4fdbcd0fb6d348b5b1e62f24fe69de8d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D302054226546

Is there a cheaper way to do it though that doesn't cost $125 a pop? I already have a small CO2 cylinder with reg and a couple of picnic taps.

Lionman said:
Saw these on ebay and would mind a couple.

Much easier to take to parties etc than the 20L kegs, and can fit an an esky easier. Great for camping, which we do a lot of.

Was thinking a couple fo these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5L-Beer-Stainless-Steel-Mini-Keg-Growler-Mini-Keg-Style-Home-Brew-Brewing-NEW-/302054226546?hash=item4653d5ba72:g:kBoAAOSwZVlXwULr
and these for ball lock posts http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless-Steel-Beer-Dispenser-Replace-For-Mini-Keg-Homebrew-Spear-Craft-Beer/192099943120?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D4fdbcd0fb6d348b5b1e62f24fe69de8d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D302054226546

Is there a cheaper way to do it though that doesn't cost $125 a pop? I already have a small CO2 cylinder with reg and a couple of picnic taps.
Search in the AHB forums for MKI or MKII or MKIII or MKIV

SBOB said:
still cant fault the service, but second replacement regulator received today has the same issues on its first use...Did a quick test when it arrived and there was flow, but connecting it to a QD the next day had it barely flowing...
Using it shows barely any flow and with no disconnect attached it seems only flow (barely) when just under 'Low' on the regulator with no output between 'low' and 'high'

I have one working regulator and a barely flowing one will work for dispensing (at a pinch), so I'm gonna chalk this up to fate and not bother hassling Mark for a replacement

Mark should have a few 'dodgy' regs now, so hopefully he can donate one to someone mechanically minded to pull apart and try and determine what the 'weak' link is for those of us that have had issues (Batz? ).. Im sure its somehow related to the the diaphragm the dial on top is connected to and somehow its not letting flow past, rather than the screwing in of the bulb and that opening...

It could be something I'm doing wrong and the other reg I have is just impervious to whatever I'm doing, but screwing in a bulb and a QD and snapping it onto the keg seems pretty simple to me :)
This is not normal. Send me one. also, email me. i did a short video of my issue for Mark a while back. ill send it to you.

Zorco said:
This is not normal. Send me one. also, email me. i did a short video of my issue for Mark a while back. ill send it to you.
yeah, im assuming its not normal

Mark has said he will send one of them to Batz who offered to pull one apart and see whats going on inside

And yeah, send me the vid and ill see if its the same as what this current one is doing

Latest posts

Back