Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legendary lurkers..... come out and be known!!! :)

On topic, I only dispense from a main keg for drinking that night or next day. As such, never experienced a taste change.

BBQ cleaner is usually caustic soda mixed with scents and surfactants.

I think you will need to passivate the stainless steel. This involves the use of acid, but I couldn't give you specific instructions. I'm sure there are people on the forums who could.

Lionman said:
can you actually get your hand in these things to clean them?
No. I think the diameter of the opening is somewhere around 35mm.

peteru said:
Green scourers are meant to be good, if you could attach one to some type of tool to reach in and polish the inside a bit it would likely help a lot.

Barkeepers friend will also passivise the stainless steel which is important for maintaining its stainless-ness.

Thanks guys. Looks like I might try a soak with Bar Keepers Friend next.

No chance of getting a hand inside to scrub them clean. Really need to find a cleaning solution that does the work for me. I've thought of maybe a growler cleaning brush or something though that's an investment in something that I probably wouldn't use ever again.

Yeah, long-time lurker. Thanks for the welcome :)

peteru said:
trump_small_hands.jpg

rncw said:
Thanks guys. Looks like I might try a soak with Bar Keepers Friend next.

No chance of getting a hand inside to scrub them clean. Really need to find a cleaning solution that does the work for me. I've thought of maybe a growler cleaning brush or something though that's an investment in something that I probably wouldn't use ever again.

Yeah, long-time lurker. Thanks for the welcome :)
There are a lot of different style brushes on ebay for around a dollar. Not a big investment.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Bottle-Cup-Sponge-Brush-Glass-Tube-Retractable-Cleaner-Kitchen-Cleaning-Tool-/172417122057?hash=item2824dc7f09:g:F0AAAOSwB09YM6a1

Yeah might look at brushes a bit closer. I was looking at larger brushes designed for corny kegs or growlers from homebrew sites that seem to be in the $15-20+ range.

Batz said:
This stuff will clean it, works a treat on all home.brew equipment. I mix a small quantity in with my sodium perc., better and much cheaper than PBW.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tricleanium-110g-all-purpose-cleaner-sachet_p1670280
Tried Tricleanium several times at different strengths and soak lengths. Did a better job than PBW and definitely made a difference but far from got all of it and the metallic taste doesn't go away. Most concerning to me is the weld between the sides and conical top. It's anything but smooth.

This is a little bit concerning. I was planning on using he ones I bought for semi-long term storage of strong beers (in the kegerator)

rncw said:
Yeah might look at brushes a bit closer. I was looking at larger brushes designed for corny kegs or growlers from homebrew sites that seem to be in the $15-20+ range.

Tried Tricleanium several times at different strengths and soak lengths. Did a better job than PBW and definitely made a difference but far from got all of it and the metallic taste doesn't go away. Most concerning to me is the weld between the sides and conical top. It's anything but smooth.
But many many are excellent. Send a photo to Mark mate.

Liam_snorkel said:
This is a little bit concerning. I was planning on using he ones I bought for semi-long term storage of strong beers (in the kegerator)
Only a few people out of a hundred have mentioned this.

Concern less, science more

I'll mention this to Mark if I get him today.

Tried to call once yesterday but time had to be shared with clients.

Perhaps the mammoth cleaning regime imposed on the steel inadvertently cleans the human and thus the smell goes away...

Only a bus trip hypothesis

peekaboo_jones said:
It's obviously an issue, why not send it back rather than waste time?
I wanted to throw it out there to everyone that has these kegs to figure out if it's a problem that warrants a different cleaning method, a replacement keg or a refund and forget the kegs altogether.

Don't really want to dick around with returns and/or replacements if there's an easy solution out there.

I've got a pale ale which I've had in the 4L mini kegs for about 5 months, and the same beer in a bottle. Will do a side by side (maybe PeterU can help out).

I know it's not the best style to keep for long (bottle or keg) but in any case it's a light style of beer and any strange taste will show up. Hopefully it's just crap beer and they both turn out equally s**t!!

Back