Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingy said:
I got a replacement sent to me and initial testing it has worked. I'm yet to use it to dispense tho.
Just hooked her up to dispense and this regulator is doing weird shit just like the other one. The same as your video zorco. Except sometimes it does nothing then it will shoot up off the scale but when you depress the needle in the disconnect hardly any pressure comes out. I know it's not marks fault but I'm done with these regulators. I'll be rigging up a soda stream with a regulator hopefully that way will be more reliable.

Without the disconnect attached is the flow out of the reg really pathetic?

I think the issue sounds the same as what I have seen on the 3 duds

I just use a normal reg on a 400g bottle.

It's not as compact but it's reliable. And it's only $15 to swap out a 400g bottle at the LHBS.

SBOB said:
Without the disconnect attached is the flow out of the reg really pathetic?

I think the issue sounds the same as what I have seen on the 3 duds
Yea just took it off and the c02 only comes out (slow) when the dial is in one position. But that position changes the next time I look for it if that makes sense.

Kingy said:
Yea just took it off and the c02 only comes out (slow) when the dial is in one position. But that position changes the next time I look for it if that makes sense.
the only coming out barely, and only at one position, is exactly what mines doing at the moment...
didnt f*ck around with it enough to see if the position varied (but it seemed to be pretty much just below 'low' on the dial)

there must be some kind of common issue with the diaphragm inside these

I really need to look at one of these, please contact me before sending Mark.

Regulators are a fairly simple bit of gear, I did work in a section reconditioning B.O.C. ones in my youth. Boring as batz shit, moved to something more challenging in the plant quickly as possible.
I sure I can find out the problem with these, remember what you pay for a industrial regulator compared to these little things.

Batz

Batz said:
I really need to look at one of these, please contact me before sending Mark.

Regulators are a fairly simple bit of gear, I did work in a section reconditioning B.O.C. ones in my youth. Boring as batz shit, moved to something more challenging in the plant quickly as possible.
I sure I can find out the problem with these, remember what you pay for a industrial regulator compared to these little things.

Batz
will be interesting to see someone pull one apart
While built to a price, hopefully identifying the common issue can lead to a possible DIY solution :)

SBOB said:
will be interesting to see someone pull one apart
While built to a price, hopefully identifying the common issue can lead to a possible DIY solution :)
Good ones work well, so let sort it out.

Zorco said:
Attached is a video I made and just shared with SBOB. Why not post it.

Apologies, Apple rotated and compressed it badly. But it shows what's going on.
i have two but so far have only used one and that's exactly the way mine behaved, will have to try the other one but so far seems I have at least one defective one also!

Batz said:
Good ones work well, so let sort it out.
My hunch is that it might have to do with the puncturing barb. Somehow it might be restricting flow into the regulator body.

Zorco said:
My hunch is that it might have to do with the puncturing barb. Somehow it might be restricting flow into the regulator body.
Might have something there
I just replaced a bulb and started to get the same problem on a regulator previously working well
As I backed off the tightness of the bulb it seemed to start working properly

It just occurred to me to ask, does anyone who adapted a sodastream cylinder to the regulator have this issue?

Zorco said:
maybe, but i'm seeing the current behaviour on my new reg from its initial bulb connection
- Opened pack, connected bulb, turned reg dial and flowed fine for my quick 1 second test..
- Next day, attached QD and went to use for dispensing... barely any flow and inaccurate dial control
- Removed QD and tested flow again...barely any flow and inaccurate dial control

so for the current bulb attached, it worked on day 0 for a quick 1 second test but now doesnt when I tried to use it for 'real'...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1486865169.873392.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1486865207.937661.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1486865254.569764.jpg

This reg is good. New bulb for testing.

When blocking flow the needle moves quickly, perfectly.

When I let go, of course pressure drops to atmosphere but flow rate is slow- really slow, but I don't think this a flaw. I think these puny regulators are for slow dispensing of the beer and nothing else. Carb with your main cylinder and when ready to dispense let it trickle out.

I wonder if this is the same with the soda stream adaptation.

My beer flow is also slow, with the reg set to 5psi and slightly adjust if it drops and stops flowing.
Doesn't bother me at all, works really well.
I'm about to naturally carb two of my 5L today, will leave for a couple of weeks then fridge them. Thinking this will reduce my 16g bulb consumption!

Anyone having ongoing issues with residue and metallic taste in these kegs?

I've thrown every homebrew cleaning method I can think of at mine:
  • Several washes with hot water + dishwashing detergent
  • Soak for several hours with PBW
  • Soak for a few hours with TSP
  • Soak overnight with TSP
  • Soak for a few hours with caustic soda
The end result wiping the inside edge of the keg after all of this is attached. It looked much worse to begin with.

Beer tastes fine for a week or two but gradually starts to get a metallic taste. Same beer in its original corny keg is fine. I've been using and cleaning corny kegs for several years (used and new) and never encountered anything like it.

keg-grease.jpg

rncw said:
Anyone having ongoing issues with residue and metallic taste in these kegs?

I've thrown every homebrew cleaning method I can think of at mine:
  • Several washes with hot water + dishwashing detergent
  • Soak for several hours with PBW
  • Soak for a few hours with TSP
  • Soak overnight with TSP
  • Soak for a few hours with caustic soda
The end result wiping the inside edge of the keg after all of this is attached. It looked much worse to begin with.

Beer tastes fine for a week or two but gradually starts to get a metallic taste. Same beer in its original corny keg is fine. I've been using and cleaning corny kegs for several years (used and new) and never encountered anything like it.

attachicon.gif
keg-grease.jpg
Yuck. Yes - mine still develop a metallic taste after a while. So far I've only got one solution for that: :chug:

Best bet might be to go for a BBQ degreaser, followed by the normal rinsing, perc soaking etc.

Edit: First post too, so welcome rncw... you've been lurking for a few years!

Back