Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you are planning on longterm storage would beer line be a better option?

Have not had the black discolouration of the minikegs as yet (have not checked them all) but I did get that dark discolouration in one of my silicon tubes
They also turn an opaque colour when soaked in PBW or TSP
Also found out it's not a great idea to bulk prime them and screw the cap on without some lube on the thread or some form of PRV

Coalminer said:
Also found out it's not a great idea to bulk prime them and screw the cap on without some lube on the thread or some form of PRV
Minced the seal up when unscrewing it?

damoninja said:
Minced the seal up when unscrewing it?
No, stainless threads bind on itself unless lubricant used (or threadtape)
Had to remove the caps with multigrips (probably the pressure buildup didn't help either)

bradsbrew said:
Not that stylish just yet. The 1.89 beerkat with modified lid to take gas from harris reg. Using the sodastream adapter from the bulk buy.
What mod do you need to do on the lid Brad? Is it as simple as pushing the gasline onto the gas-in thread instead of the co2 injector?

Digga said:
So if you are planning on longterm storage would beer line be a better option?
I would only use silicone where high-temperature resistance is needed.

Lionman said:
I would only use silicone where high-temperature resistance is needed.
Or to transfer beer fermenter to keg, keg to keg etc then rinsed straight after.

bradsbrew said:
Yes, obviously needs a clamp, but that is all that's required.
Thanks. I'm thinking the other end of a short length of tube could be put onto the barb of a spare carb cap for a ghetto post set-up.

gezzanet said:
Just cleaned out one that I still had a litre in since Xmas. Rubbed the inside with paper and it came out black. Silicone hose looked like attached picture. Like it's picked up metallics and beer stain. Did the overnight pbw wash and starsan. Might give it a hit with tricleanium tonight and then a high conc starsan to see how it goes.
Looks like short term ok but long term storage might not be?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488434043.477609.jpg
I'm thinking of making up a stainless dip tube in place of the silicon hose

On the topic of the mini regs I placed a small o ring between the bulb and the reg. It worked for the first bulb and not for the second. I think that I might give up on the idea and just get a second dual guage reg and use the sodastream bottle configuration.

phildo said:
I'm thinking of making up a stainless dip tube in place of the silicon hose
Ummmmm, yes please.

You can make something that screws into the threaded barb?

Zorco said:
Ummmmm, yes please.
You can make something that screws into the threaded barb?
I'm going to talk to the fitters at work to determine if threading the tube directly or using a flange and locking nut would be a better approach

Sigh, been off here for some time, came back hoping to find an easy answer to the great mini-reg problem of 2016.

Sadly no luck by the looks of it. Might have to get a big reg and go soda-stream.

Yeah, no progress there.... Not sure whether any of the broken ones which have been returned have been dissected or one sent to someone like batz who offered to investigate the behaviour..

I have been sent three new regulators for bench testing and comparison with mine. Spending a box of bulbs just to ensure they allow flow.

So far all is good. I have my dodgy on which I will open up as well as Batz.

You will be sent a working one or two this week SBOB

Fraser's BRB said:
Sigh, been off here for some time, came back hoping to find an easy answer to the great mini-reg problem of 2016.

Sadly no luck by the looks of it. Might have to get a big reg and go soda-stream.
I don't think these are fixable or tweakable. I think problems are manufacturer errors.

And no concerns with Mark IMHO. I have been incredibly busy and sleep deprived. Catching up still but progress nonetheless.

Some of the tests on these three regs I have include inverting the bulb so liquid CO2 passes directly into the reg.... aiming to break it. I end up seeing solid CO2 in chunks spit out the LP side at the moment so these three seem all good.

Zorco - mine is faulty too. What's the process to get it replaced? Go through you or straight to Mark?

Back