Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schooner_downunder said:
I just got free shipping to Glen Iris (3146). Maybe try a Australia Post Parcel Locker.
Anyone received their keg cooler yet? Still waiting on mine with confirmation of it being sent.

All good. Beerkat contacted me today. Excellent customer service. Because i used a parcel locker they had to send via Aus Post. Which explains the delay :)

Thought I'd show where my 5L mini-keg has gone.

I recently downsized from a five tap keezer to a MJ kegerator but with a four tap font as I wanted to use 9.5L kegs instead of 19L ones (lifting up and over gets to you after a while).

I was initially lying one 9.5L on it's side to fit but now I've got the fourth tap connected to the mini-keg (far right at back) which will be 5 litres of experimental beers I do (I brew 11.5 litre batches more often now).

The other bonus now is the shelf fits back in and I can fit the excess I bottle in there as well, meaning I will have more on offer.

Some may say it's not enough beer, but for my consumption it's great and means I get to brew more!

20170114_165059-01.jpeg

1484389286295.jpg

Upgrades for both my beauties... Neoprene jackets and replaced the disconnects with 90° SS ones. Also added flow control shank extenders which also give the tap a bit more clearance past the keg.

Emptied one of these at the folks place today... No dramas, so much less fiddling around with the damn pressure settings. Means I don't have to pour every beer (and possibly why it got emptied!).

Edit - also stylish rubber band close mechanism.

Is that the KK flow control adaptor? How does it work? I thought that you could adjust the flow control on the fly, but then someone told me that you have to set it at installation time and can not change the flow rate without taking the disconnect off.

peteru said:
Is that the KK flow control adaptor? How does it work? I thought that you could adjust the flow control on the fly, but then someone told me that you have to set it at installation time and can not change the flow rate without taking the disconnect off.
The fluted ring between the tap and the disconnect rotates to adjust the flow restriction, and is secured in place via two grub screws. You don't need to remove the tap to adjust, although it is a tad fiddly. I was going to pick up flow control intertaps to replace the tap entirely, but these things were only $30 or something so it saved a good wad of cash and probably perform the same.

Note the pour isn't as perfect as from the keezer, I was getting about 1/4 glass foam, but it was consistent through the keg and didn't require any extra faffing about. Big improvement from no flow control so calling it a win.

peteru said:
I bought 2 of the kegking flow controls also. They work perfectly and you could easily leave the tap permanently on and just use the flow control to turn the beer on and off. My beers at christmas poured perfectly and it takes only a few seconds to get people up to speed on them.

I havnt received my keg cooler yet and havnt heard from Aus Post. I did get a text message from Beerkat though to say the tracking said it arrived on Friday. Excellent customer service from Beerkat and all for a $16 free delivery mini keg cozy.

Nice stainless splashback Mofox, I'm so farking jealous!!! The misses wouldn't allow it said it would be to much cleaning...fark!

Well, I've done a few trials with these and keg hopping them. The flavour results have been good. Getting a hop sock out is very difficult, and usually results in holes in the sock. I myself will stay away from pellets in these as there's just far too much fine hop matter that gets sucked into the glass. Perhaps if I cut the tubes a bit shorter that would work better, but I'm really inclined at this point to stick to flowers and rig up some sort of excluder on the end of the dip tube.

Mardoo said:
Well, I've done a few trials with these and keg hopping them. The flavour results have been good. Getting a hop sock out is very difficult, and usually results in holes in the sock. I myself will stay away from pellets in these as there's just far too much fine hop matter that gets sucked into the glass. Perhaps if I cut the tubes a bit shorter that would work better, but I'm really inclined at this point to stick to flowers and rig up some sort of excluder on the end of the dip tube.
hop bag fishing line tied to the top of the dip tube.... sure it'll work. :blink:

The difficulty is more in the size of the re-hydrated hop mass compared to the size of the opening, rather than not being able to get to the bag. For me, I bagged them for parties, so I didn't need to worry about getting the bag out before the keg blew. It's not like it was impossible to get it out, but I ripped holes in each of the socks I used. That, balanced with the problem of the hop dust getting in each glass, makes it a bit more fiddly than I need. It's good for testing out different hop combos, and seeing how the same beer can become significantly different with different hop combos. Completely different aspects of the beer get emphasized. For example, roast with one combo, yeast esters with another, malt with another. I have a couple ideas for different ways to do it. If I manage to locate something that works I'll definitely post.

Anyone find a good spring for the taps? Ive had no luck with the poppet springs i have. Might have to rig up the rubber band job.

I'm still using the Bunnings spring and it still works just fine, even though it's not stainless steel.

Took a 5l mini keg with a coopers in it to a mates on 17/12/16.
When I filled it I gave it a shot at 14 psi. Took it to the BBQ. Released the pressure and served at 2psi with one bulb.
I wound the mini Reg back to 0 and disconnected it and the tap from the keg and bought it home. I gave it a shot of co2 at 14 psi when I got home and stuck it in the fridge and went away for a few weeks
Today 25/1/17 I wound the minireg with the bulb still connected from before Xmas to 2psi and reconnected to the same 5 l keg. The Reg went up to 12 psi and I poured another beer
Win.
Still gas in mini keg holds pressure fine and also enough in old bulb
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485332946.758449.jpg

Back