Mini Hop Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobtheBrewer

Reaction score
I am interested in buying some hops form the US while our dollar is healthy. I am not proposing a bulk buy, but wondered if anyone in my immediate area would be interested in sharing the freight burden. I bought 5 lbs at the beginning of the year and about 60% of the cost was freight. The more you buy, the less the percentage of freight. I live in Birkdale, Eastern Suburbs of Brisbane (Bayside). I buy my hops from
www.hopsdirect.com
and have found them to be good people to deal with. If anybody is interested please PM me.

nah, i'm out. I thought you meant mini hops which i thought would be good in a mini mash.

:icon_offtopic: Actually i'm in seattle next week, looking forward to some good local beers,notably Widmer Hefeweizen, alaskan amber... still making up my mind about mack n jack's african amber - bitterness a little harsh... There's a local american IPA i tried that i can't remember the name of but it was encounter that started an illicit affair with american IPAs - not fussy about whose.

All though a little dearer, I got some hops from Niko brew as there is a bit more variety than the one you mentioned.
Postage was $26 US for 4 1/2 pounds

:icon_offtopic: Actually i tried Mack n Jack's african amber again last week and changed my mind.
Ive tried the mack n jacks african amber on numerous occasions with different results. I had it about 6 months ago and the bitterness was harsh. I was in seattle again last week and it was a revelation which was what i remembered from my first try. Theres something very unique about the bitter assault almost asphalty, day at the grand prix hit you in the face but not unpleasant. Bready, yes, but then balanced with a lingering malty sweetness. Unique.
I wonder if they brew inconsistently or it was handled badly. Anyway, the last one was so good, and such a unique taste im planning to brew one. I saw a comment online and I THINK there's sweet orange peel in there and that's shifting the flavour profile. I'm way off topic, but i'm making a correction to my last off topic remark above.

I've come to realise that, at a third or quarter of the price we pay here, the Yanks can afford to do hop bombs. 200g of Cascade for three or four bucks? chuck it in :lol:

Edit: oops make that a fifth of the price

I agree. Its insane how cheap it is over there.

:icon_offtopic: Actually i tried Mack n Jack's african amber again last week and changed my mind.
Ive tried the mack n jacks african amber on numerous occasions with different results. I had it about 6 months ago and the bitterness was harsh. I was in seattle again last week and it was a revelation which was what i remembered from my first try. Theres something very unique about the bitter assault almost asphalty, day at the grand prix hit you in the face but not unpleasant. Bready, yes, but then balanced with a lingering malty sweetness. Unique.
I wonder if they brew inconsistently or it was handled badly. Anyway, the last one was so good, and such a unique taste im planning to brew one. I saw a comment online and I THINK there's sweet orange peel in there and that's shifting the flavour profile. I'm way off topic, but i'm making a correction to my last off topic remark above.

fark mate; I wish I could dribble sh!t like you :icon_vomit:

I'm tossing up going to niko brew for some cascade seeing their postage is cheap at $13US for 2 1/2 lbs but the rest of their hops are nearly twice the price of hopsdirect. Hopsdirect charge more for postage but other hops are cheaper..... hmmmmm decisions..

I'm tossing up going to niko brew for some cascade seeing their postage is cheap at $13US for 2 1/2 lbs but the rest of their hops are nearly twice the price of hopsdirect. Hopsdirect charge more for postage but other hops are cheaper..... hmmmmm decisions..

I don't think you will go wrong with either, for 2 1/2 lb there is not much in it. I tend to use Niko for small orders (2 1/2lb) and HopsDirect for larger ones (5lb). Also if you go with NikoBrew check if he still does the 5% discount for coupon 'AUSTRALIAHOPS'

QldKev

Neither Ausiehops or Australiahops works in the coupon code <_<

Back