Microsoft Announces New Search Engine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
MS's new search engine is called Bing! That's so funny.

Microsoft is reported to be spending as much as $US100 million on advertising the new service. Mr Ballmer said Microsoft had called its search engine Bing because it wanted something short and catchy but it was not named after Bing Crosby.

Yes, it's in the jokes section on purpose.

I think their aims are a little high-

The term "to Google" quickly became synonymous with performing a search on the internet after the company launched in ground-breaking service a decade ago. Mr Ballmer said of Bing: "The name is short, it's easy to say, it works globally. It's been proved that being able to `verb up' can be helpful."

There's a pretty good write up here. Terrible campaign so far if you ask me - no viral marketing to be seen, product not being released for another week, and not doing a lot to spruik a product that's trying to compete with a global leader. Pfft. They tried 'revamping searching' with MSN LiveSearch, useless POS.

Another write up here, with a lovely picture;

article_photo1.jpg

So I'm extremely bored right now and decided to have a look and see how bad it is. You know how Google has the button you can click to make it search URLs from your own country only? Bing has this too. However, for some strange reason Microsoft seems to think I'm in the UK. You cannot do anything right, Microsoft.

Back