Metallic Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug2232

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just finished by keg setup running two 10l kegs until I get more space

Put the same beer in both, however the second keg has a metallic taste, where the first was perfect. Not sure if it's the keg or something with the beer

Any suggestions. Kegs were cleaned and sanitised before use. Dunno if I can blame boiling procedures as the first keg was fine.

Metallic taste in beer is something that drives me nuts.

Can you please answer these questions for me:

• has the beer/keg been exposed to temperature fluctuations?
  • have you used Amarillo?

Cold crashed the beer after primary ferment for 6 days at 4 degree. Transfered to kegs and carbed. Haven't left the fridge.

No Amarillo

Did you thoroughly rinse the sanitiser from the second keg??

I've got no rinse sanitiser - Brewshield. Should I still rinse it? What's better to use that I can preferable get in bulk for cheaper.

Still drinkable. Won't kill me will it??

Maybe the second vessel wasn't entirely air tight, this could have caused metals in the water to oxidize causing the flavour, also could potentially be from a bacterial infection if it isn't air tight.

Did you notice any difference in the airlock bubble rates?

No rinse sanitiser is only no rinse if it is mixed correctly.
If in doubt, boiling water is always your friend.

Doug2232 said:
I've got no rinse sanitiser - Brewshield. Should I still rinse it? What's better to use that I can preferable get in bulk for cheaper.

You will get a metallic taste from acid based sanitisers if they are too strong

Doug2232 said:
It won't do your teeth a lot of good..all your fillings will fall out.

You can easily get around that by drinking through a straw of course ;)

Thinking I may have put too much sanitiser to water in the keg. Is pink better?

I am not familiar with Brewshield, but any no rinse sanitiser MUST be mixed correctly if using it as no rinse. Is Brewshield acid based??

I get quite strong metallic taste from US Magnum, so much so I never use it now. German Magnum is a wonderful hop and shows no sign of metallic taste.

My experiences only, others may not have this.

Batz

Drank thge keg dry last night so i can have a look this afternoon. Can anyone recommend something for cleaning the kegs?

Is pink powder the way to go???

Doug2232 said:
Drank thge keg dry last night so i can have a look this afternoon. Can anyone recommend something for cleaning the kegs?

Is pink powder the way to go???
Absolutely NOT it is a chlorinated cleaner good for plastic and glass but it will over time eat your kegs.
I use Sodium Percarbonate on everything metal, Brewshield (under one of its many trade names) would be close to the only No-rinse sanitiser I would trust to be no rinse as it breaks down into O2 and water.
As dicko said boiling water is your friend and that's exactly what I use last.
Mark

Latest posts

Back