Melbourne Herlisil (sanitiser) Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, a half second contact time is enough? I could use my inverted-bottle-liquid-squirty-thing with this diluted to the proper levels, get all the drops of this stuff out of the bottle and fill the bottle with beer within about 10 minutes?
My understanding is that this stuff works on contact, it rapidly oxidises impurities which means bugs basically get vaporised. Any traces of sanitiser left in the bottle will break down to water and oxygen fairly quickly. I doubt we're talking about a significant amount of oxygen either (compared to a bottle headspace for example), so I would say a good swish around which contacts all surfaces, followed by a couple of minutes draining will be perfect. Even if there were any 'active' traces remaining in the bottle, the addition of the beer would nullify it on contact.

So, that would be an already 1:4 dilution (5%) diluted again to 1:100? Yikes, that IS scary stuff.
The dilution rates I've quoted are working off the H2O2 concentration. The Herlisil contains 50% H202.

A 1:4 'premix' dilution (ie, 1 litre Herlisil to 4 litres water) would be 10% H2O2, so to further reduce this to 0.05% H2O2 would require 1 part 'premix' to 200 parts water (ie 5ml per litre). So yep, it's scary stuff :ph34r:

Velophile dropped mine off today while I was out buying Pilsener in SwingTop bottles.

Meanwhile, we all owe Wortgames a beer.

The guy I get my product from is a keen homebrewer - He actually squirts a syringe full into his wort to kick off the ferment, he reckons it fires off much quicker & stronger. I guess as it's only producing oxygen & water, he has a point - just never had the courage personally to try it :ph34r:

cheers Ross

what sort of contact time are we looking at? I'd guess the time it took me to find this thread and write this post would be enough but thought i'd ask

i am not really sure why you have bought such large quantities since H2O2 decomposes to water and oxygen over time. Yes, its a slow process but its accelerated at higher concentrations and the 50% you lot have, apart from being scary scary shit, is about as concentrated as it gets. Make sure you store it at 2degC and keep out of the hands of kids. In my experience, the more dilute 35% gear i use to use was dead inside 2 years.

If you feel like having fun on the otherhand, get yourself a few litres of nail polish remover....... :blink:

If it is designed to last longer than that (and its been a a year since i last used it) it contains vast amounts of stabilisers and i would then be worried about what they are going to do to you and your beer. I assume you all have MSDS sheets explaining what this stuff does to you? Seriously amazed that that can get your hands on it, i assumed all ingredients in bomb making were illegal.

My nerdy 2 cents.
DrSmurto

p.s. as a uni student i thought it might be cheaper to pinch some H2O2 from the lab and use it to bleach my hair. Burny ouchy burny ouchy.... :eek:

wow! I left some solution in the bottom of the fermenter while i typed that post and when I went back it had a brown tinge. and this was a very clean, still white looking fermenter, not an old "going yellow" one. I have a feeling we're all going to have our gear a "whiter white" than is possible with napisan :p

i am not really sure why you have bought such large quantities since H2O2 decomposes to water and oxygen over time. Yes, its a slow process but its accelerated at higher concentrations and the 50% you lot have, apart from being scary scary shit, is about as concentrated as it gets.
That's sort of the opposite to the way I understood it. you're saying that I'll last longer diluted with DI water than undiluted? I'll admit I'm no scientist, but that sounds very illogical. wouldn't that mean that the ultra diluted stuff we'd use in a spay bottle would be very stable and last for yonks?

If anybody in Melbourne needs deionised water to dilute this stuff just PM me.
You'll need a container (not too big please) and to be able to get to Nth Melbourne between 8 & 5 weekdays.

Rob, I might have to take you up on this... what is the cost per litre?

if another order ever gets placed I'll certainly take 2L. im sick of buying small amount of sterilizer. as good as it is to just to drop in and not have to rinse im sick of it. and it costs too bloody much.

if another order ever gets placed I'll certainly take 2L. im sick of buying small amount of sterilizer. as good as it is to just to drop in and not have to rinse im sick of it. and it costs too bloody much.

See if there is enough interest by any more brewers.

The ones that got it this time around will be OK for the next few years.

cheers
johnno

Back