Melbourne Brewers Beerfest entries close Feb 1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Folks,

For those of you itching to find out how you went...

I've just finished uploading all the scoresheets. I've done the usual random check to make sure the scoresheets are correctly aligned, but if there are any problems please let me know and I'll get on it asap.

As usual, if you have entered using CompMaster you can access your result sheets via your account (My Results page).

If you have an account but didn't enter through CompMaster, your sheets will NOT be available online to you by default. If you are in this boat I'll do my best to swing them across if you let me know, but no guarantee on when that will get done - you will get them via snail mail anyway if you're in this camp.

If you don't have an account, you're in the same boat as above... you can create an account, and I'll most likely get around to swinging the sheets across by the end of the week.

Congrats to all who entered - enjoy the feedback!

Andy

NealK said:
Woohoo! My vienna came 1st!
I should point out that I am a Wetsgate Brewer but the results show that I have no club. I don't think it would have changed the final scores but it would have made it much closer.
A big thank you to the Melbourne Brewers for organising the comp and giving me my First ever winner!
I really can't stop smiling right now!

edit - My fault about the no club thing, I forgot to change my compmaster details after I joined Westgate Brewers.
Yep...
Westgate had two blokes who placed this year who had "no club"
We would have won club of show...
Next year
Well done Neal
Cheers
Ferg

Andy,
Thanks for your efforts...
I don't have score sheets uploaded via compmaster (entered via compmaster)
Cheers
Ferg

Sorry boys - forgot to hit the "Publish" button...

Try now.

Andy

Bloody ripper, a first, its as unexpected as it is welcome!

However I'm also a member of the Westgate brewers, I thought I put this on the form.

Oh well hard to complain about anything with a score of 120

Andyd said:
OK Folks,

For those of you itching to find out how you went...

I've just finished uploading all the scoresheets. I've done the usual random check to make sure the scoresheets are correctly aligned, but if there are any problems please let me know and I'll get on it asap.

As usual, if you have entered using CompMaster you can access your result sheets via your account (My Results page).

If you have an account but didn't enter through CompMaster, your sheets will NOT be available online to you by default. If you are in this boat I'll do my best to swing them across if you let me know, but no guarantee on when that will get done - you will get them via snail mail anyway if you're in this camp.

If you don't have an account, you're in the same boat as above... you can create an account, and I'll most likely get around to swinging the sheets across by the end of the week.

Congrats to all who entered - enjoy the feedback!

Andy
Fantastic work Andy, I can't believe that the result sheets are up already!

Do we know who scored the Novice Brewer award? Is that awarded for best all round performance or just on best single beer?

I've just gone through the rules with MIke G, as we had a draw for Novice.

The tie was between Charlie Hall of Melbourne Brewers (120 pts) and Luke McCrone of Westgate Brewers (120 pts).

On count-back, and by 2 points on overall impression, the winner of best novice was Luke. Congratulations to you both guys - that's a brilliant score for novice entries!

Cheers!

Andy

So Andy..seeing as you've now pegged Luke as a westgater..does that mean Westgate win Club of show lol

Well this is excellent news! Obviously the ability to tell people i make award winning beer is more than reward enough however I assume I am also entitled to prizes, prizes, prizes, any one know what these might be?

Just finalising at the moment - we were a bit late getting this organised this year but we have an assortment of vouchers from our sponsors as well as some bits and pieces of equipment and beer.

Grain and grape, Temple, Buckleys, brewers Den, Hergreaves Hill, Keg King, Hopdealz Australia, Home make it and Grand Ridge all sponsored very generously so your prize will be something brew related and possibly something beer related.

If the prize is a voucher or exchangeable for a voucher, it will be mailed to you. Alternatively pick up will be arranged either between you and MB or you and the sponsor.

Stay tuned and stay patient. Trophies will also be forthcoming.

Ferg,

We had a precedent set in a pervious competition, where three of our guys had entered without specifying the club. At the time I made the call to accept the entries as submitted by the entrants, since as manager of the comp database and a member of Melbourne Brewers, I did not want to create any misconceptions that we had manupulated the system to our benefit.

On that basis the entries will stand as they are for this competition also.

I will be putting a note on the entry form to have entrants confirm their club membership. This will be taken either from their account profile, or from the over-ride drop-down that is on the entry form today.

I'm happy to have the discussion with other club presidents about how we handle similar situations in future; personally I believe that in order to avoid a situation where clubs could start soliciting unaffiliated brewers after the event to pump up results (which I am NOT insinuating would happen in our current community - it's just a possibility however inconceivable), we need to acknowledge the clubs as specified at the time of entry, particularly since we do have brewers who enter specific beers as members of different clubs at times.

Cheers,

Andy

Luke, the prize for Best Novice is awarded by Vicbrew in all events, and is a cheque for $60.

We'll be getting this out to you shortly.

Regards,

Andy

For those who are interested (and a few are, based on PMs this afternoon) here's the deal with Best Novice:

Firstly, this is a Vicbrew prize, and is a part of all Vicbrew affiliated competitions. As such the prize has always been a cash prize (currently $60) paid by cheque from Vicbrew directly.

The rules for qualification are that you only qualify if you have not had a beer place 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a VicBrew qualified competition.

Your best scored beer is considered (only). The placing of the beer is not considered, only the total score.

In the event that there are two novices with the same total score, the tie is decided first by Overall Impression scores, and then Flavour scores. If it remains a tie, then the beer with the lowest spread of scores across judges is considered to dictate the winner of best novice.

[ As an interesting aside - all this has led me to further investigate the qualification rules, because as I read it, you could potentially continue to win best novice until you get a beer to place in a competition, but I'm not sure that is correct. ]

Now, for this event we had four novices all on 120 points. Luke wins on the first tie break (overall impression) by being 2 points clear of the next beer.

Hope that helps!

Andy

Andyd said:
Ferg,

We had a precedent set in a pervious competition, where three of our guys had entered without specifying the club. At the time I made the call to accept the entries as submitted by the entrants, since as manager of the comp database and a member of Melbourne Brewers, I did not want to create any misconceptions that we had manupulated the system to our benefit.

On that basis the entries will stand as they are for this competition also.

I will be putting a note on the entry form to have entrants confirm their club membership. This will be taken either from their account profile, or from the over-ride drop-down that is on the entry form today.

I'm happy to have the discussion with other club presidents about how we handle similar situations in future; personally I believe that in order to avoid a situation where clubs could start soliciting unaffiliated brewers after the event to pump up results (which I am NOT insinuating would happen in our current community - it's just a possibility however inconceivable), we need to acknowledge the clubs as specified at the time of entry, particularly since we do have brewers who enter specific beers as members of different clubs at times.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy..I was taking the piss mate ...
We , at Westgate like to try and do our best at beating all the other clubs !
I wouldn't expect a retrospective award...
The placings are what they are..
As I said ...having a laugh...still very happy for those guys ! And proud that they are Westgaters !
Thanks Andy !
Ferg

No prob Ferg - just putting it out there for the record and transparency...

On another note I was chatting with Dale and Barry at the event on the weekend about us getting the clubs together for a bit of a social BBQ... will chat with you offline at some stage.

Andy,
A social BBQ would be a great idea...
I know we have mooted the idea before ... Club night at ANHC is always a blast...
I can't go to ANHC this year what with a new baby ( 4 week old ) and a toddler ....
Maybe we can suss some dates ...
Cheers
Ferg

Wow, Pretty happy coming 1st with my RIS! My first win.

Are the spoils available to be picked up rather than wasting money on postage?

Latest posts

Back