Melbourne Brewers Beerfest entries close Feb 1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who ever's popping down for the comp remember it's valentines day and I like roses :wub:

Will place getters be posted here (or anywhere) on the day? How long does it typically take to get scoresheets back?

Winners and place getters are announced on Saturday afternoon.

The results for all competitors are usually available a few days later but be patient - it requires humans uploading, data checking etc.

If you entered via compmaster, the scoresheets are available a few days after the comp (again - requires human scanning). Otherwise you need to wait for them to be posted.

I have drawn the short straw (with Dave also from Bayside Brewers). We have the Pale Ale flight. 42 entries including 28 American Pale ales.

Looking forward to a big day starting at 9:30am on Saturday. I think I will sleep well on Saturday night.

Another Bayside Brewer is doing Strong Ales - 12 entries. He is the designated driver.

There's a few extra judges from the friday who might be allocated to share the load. Consistency of judges is one thing but 42 apas puts a hole in pure conceptual notions of consistency.

I'm not judge director so don't hold me to it.

Yob said:
With no IPA cat this year, I wouldn't be surprised if pale got bombed pretty hard,

40 is a hell of a flight, nearly 4.5 hours of solid judging...

Contact Linton, we believe in you :)
A bit more than 4.5 hours Yob,you're bloody optimistic :D And depending on who decides to bomb out and not turn up,there's a few stewards from Friday night who can possibly be called in if needed,and yes,42 APA's is a big flight for anybody,even Linton :lol: Got my bags packed and looking forward to it,always a great weekend,see all you folks there. :drinks:

manticle said:
42 of any kind of beer is a massive flight regardless.
I facilitated my first tasting the other night and that was 8. Even that was massive. I can't imagine 42. Pity SWMBO kicked up a stink, because the judging last Sunday was on the next street from me! :angry2:

Will have to work something out for the next one, send her away for the weekend or something... :beerbang: :chug:

Just hope my aussie pale ale is tasted before judges faces are wrecked with massive hop bomb APAs... ;-)

Almost certainly.
Flight order is worked out by people who know what they are doing.

Just popped the top on a few beers that I bottled at the same time I bottled the comp beers. First time bottling from the keg and I may have to revisit my process. A little oxidation in my apa... All bottles taste quite different to my kegs :/

Figured that'd be the case. Thought the two were in the same category of 'pale ale'.

Yob said:
Aussie pale is likely to be judged separate to the American pales I should think
All Pale Ales being judged by one set of judges. The Kolsch, Irish Red ales, aussie pale, Belgian Pales, English Pales all judges first. Then we do the hop bombs.

14 non-APAs first, then 28 APAs. Best this way to get a standardised score from same judges. Just bloody hard work for the judges. Well ..... Someone has to do it. I am one of the judges that drew the short straw.

A good 7 hours of judging.

Back