Mead Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These fish tank heaters have changed a lot it seems. Maybe the mass production in Asia the factories are seeking more sales and putting good gear from the line under their own brand and selling low on the market.

Last time I went into a Pet Shop was a while ago and its nothing like what they had on offer back then.

If you can not source any let me know and I'll give you the fish nutters phone number. He must have a few hundred in his shed all in shipping containers :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

If you can not source any let me know and I'll give you the fish nutters phone number. He must have a few hundred in his shed all in shipping containers :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I'll have a look round the local fish places but if I can't find anything I might get that number off you.

Cheers
dave

I just benchmark tested the second one and its got a dodgy thermostat. So still need to test them when you get home. The fish nutter wants me to leave it run for a day and then test before swapping out so going through the motions to satisfy his curiosity.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Okay guys,

Heres my shopping list:

Hardware:
2 x 5 litre Demijohns.
2 x Rubber Stoppers W/ Hole for Airlock.
2 x Plastic Airlock.
1 x Belt Heater.
1 x Large Styrofoam Box + Some Newspaper for Insulation.
13 x Wine Bottles.
1 x Bag of Corks.
1 x Corker.

Ingredients (for both Demijohns)
3.2 Kilograms of Honey.
2 x Large Oranges.
50 x Raisins.
2 x Sticks of Cinnamon.
1 x Wine Yeast.
1 Tbsp of Bread Yeast.

One Demijohn will be made with bread yeast, the other with a wine yeast, hopefully this should teach me some lessons in Mead making.

I have the day free tommorow, so I shall be visiting the local HomeBrew store to pick up these goodies, if anyone can think of anything I have missed, please let me know as soon as possible, also any hints on what type of wine yeast to use and buy would be much appreciated, im just going to buy some bread yeast from the local store.

~Mark

also any hints on what type of wine yeast to use and buy would be much appreciated, im just going to buy some bread yeast from the local store.

~Mark

For a first batch something neutral would be a good choice. Champagne yeast works well for that. I have used red Star Premier Cuvee successfully. I have also used the Gervin equivalent. If you can't get a champagne then a basic white wine yeast will work too. Your LHBS should have something that will suit.

If you are going to make JAO with the wine yeast bear in mind that champagne or basic white wine yeast will ferment out dry which is not what you want for a JAO. You would be better with a sweet wine yeast for that.

Cheers
Dave

If you can get Lalvin yeast, 71B Narbonne for Melomels and Pyments is a fast fermenter and ager and D-47 Cote de Rhone for sweet meads are good.

These and above are dry and relatively inexpensive.

In liquid Wyeast sells mead yeast but will cost you more.

Bread yeasts for now take your pick. Ive got experience with Defiance, others with Tandaco. I'll try Tandaco next along with Defiance but this time in a controlled brew fridge and maybe this new one Ive seen sold in a cylinder container (forgot the name). Then I can plan on a scaled up JAO 25 litres or more batch size with whichever turns out the best in the brew fridge trials.

There are a ton of other yeasts, most wine and a few ales that can make Meads as well but the above and Daves are a good start.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Back