Mauri Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry

To thine own self brew
Reaction score
Good Day
Has anyone used Mauri's dried ale or dried lager yeast before and/or do you have any opinions re performance, flavour profile etc ?

Good Day
Has anyone used Mauri's dried ale or dried lager yeast before and/or do you have any opinions re performance, flavour profile etc ?

More conjecture than fact, but the 514 ale yeast was I believed what was (still is ?) in the ESB kits and both ale and lager yeasts are used by the Beer Factory type establishments. I can remember past threads and conversations with various people who concluded it was a solid yeast, fairly neutral in its influence (sort of similiar like to US 05), though the website says it was developed more along an english ale theme (S-04 ?)

Like a Toyota Corolla - gets the job done, but nothing to suggest it will win Bathurst.

Below from the Mauri website. My personal thoughts - they couldn't still be selling it if it wasn't any good.

Sorry can't offer anything more practical.

PRODUCT
Selected Pure Active Dry Brewing Yeast
STRAIN
Y514 - English Ale
Origin - AB Mauri Culture Collection - Sydney,
Australia
TYPE
Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Top Fermenting Ale Brewing Yeast
FERMENTATION CHARACTERISTICS
RATE OF FERMENTATION
A rapid fermenter at warm ambient temperatures,
resulting in a typical fermentation time of between 3
and 7 days.
TEMPERATURE RANGE
17-30C (62-86F) is optimal for this strain. Beer
structure may benefit from fermentations with this
strain after acclimatising to lower temperatures for
prolonged yeast contact at 10-15C (50-59F).
DEGREE OF ATTENUATION
This strain rapidly attenuates fermentable sugars
with a typical wort falling from a gravity of
1040-1045 resulting in a beer of less than 1008.
ALCOHOL TOLERANCE
This ale yeast is renowned for its tolerance in
commercial beer styles with up to 9.5% alcohol.
YEAST HEAD FORMATION
Though a top fermenter, this yeast produce nominal
yeast head through stages of maximum gravity loss.
FINAL CLARITY
One of the selection criteria used for this strain was
its generally very good settling properties even at
warmer ambient temperatures 20-30C (68-86F).
USING DRIED BREWERS YEAST
Reconstituting 25 to 50g of Mauribrew dried yeast
per 100 litres of wort will achieve 5 to 10 x 106
viable cells per ml of wort.
w Rehydrate the yeast by slowly sprinkling it into 5
to 10 times its weight of clean water between 37
to 40C (98 to 104F).
w Allow to stand for 15 minutes then adjust the
temperature of the rehydrated yeast to within 5C
(41F) of the wort to be inoculated by adding wort
to the yeast and water solution. Never subject the
yeast to temperature shock. For best results the
wort should be 15C (59F) or higher.
w Add this rehydrated yeast to the wort to initiate
fermentation and aerate.
w Use the rehydrated yeast within 30 minutes of
rehydration.

Hi Barry,

I have used this yeast on a few occassions and I find that with sugar/ dextrose as the fermentable addition it attenuates quite well. (as stated above)
When I have used it with brews with mashed grains and malt extracts it seems to stay up around the 1012 fg on say a 1045 - 1048 beer.

I personally think that this is not a bad thing as it provides good body if that is what you are looking for.
I find it to be a fairly neutral yeast with a slight tendency toward malt accent and with the beers that I have made it has provided a good hop balance.

I hope these observations may help.

Cheers

edit; I have only used the ale yeast

Where could someone purchase it? Is it the generic yeast Brigalow sells?

Good Day

I have used the 514 a few times and have made some good beers with it. The real reason I used it was because I had a few sachets left over from kits. In terms of attenuation I found it to be fairly close to s-04, floculation low-med with a very runny yeast cake, and has a tendancy to let of some funky sulphur smells during fermentation, particularly if you let the temps get up around 24C.

I would agree with Dicko that it favours malt over hop flavours.

If I have it I use it, but I would not seek it out.

If this is the 514 yeast then this is what Country Brewer includes with their Wal's and Rapid Creek ale kits. Also the equivalent lager yeast comes with their lager kits.

I would agree with what's said about 514 above - fairly neutral, malt favoring, medium attenuation, and tends to leave a runny yeast cake and bottle sediment which is easy to pour out with the beer unless you are careful.

I found I only got down to about 1.016 - 1.018 with all malt brews though.

I'd use it if I had it, for a basic brew, but wouldn't seek it out especially. For bottle conditioned beers I found S-04 or 05 has the big advantage of leaving a firm sediment which makes them easier to pour clear. (And is also a little more attenuative in all malt brews)

Back