Matilda Bay - Big Helga...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one at Grand Central when it first came out, and that'll probably be the last.
Bit of a train wreck without being horrid.

Wow this is really bizzare.... I've had it a few times at a few different pubs and have never noticed any hop character whatsoever... I've found it to be munich malt through and through - kinda like an Oktoberfest beer.

Almost had one of these a few weeks ago, at our Beach House Caf.
When I saw the tap I thought it must have been an imported Munich Lager I hadn't heard of before.
Then I saw the tap for imported Budvar, and had one of those instead.
Glad I did.

I had Helga off the tap, took them back to the bar for a different beer swap. Quite possibly a bad batch or just slack line cleaning practices. Mind you they were the first beers poured from this tap that I saw, so I think others though the beer was rubbish too.
GB

All I could taste was metal, probably the worst beer I have ever had. On par with Hammer and Tongs.
:icon_offtopic: Come on.... Tried Hammer & Tongs in Mildura billiant beer at $10 a six pack from the bottle-o. Awesome headache inducer

Had a pint in Port Macquarie last night. Liked it so much I brought the glass home :ph34r:

Have had it a few times at The Orient also.

Having never tried a Munich Style Dry Lager before I tryed having a one with lunch at a local in Gero a few months back. I got through 1 half pint and couldn't even come to have another beer let alone another one of those. After reading comments above I am thinking the beer lines must have been dodgy because it tasted sour, even smelt sour. As said I have never had a true style Munich and thought this was the way it was meant to taste but might give it another go at a different pub over the weekend.

Drew

Had this one a couple of weeks ago and was one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I can't remember the taste so much, only that when I've subsequentially seen it in a bottlo there's been a sick feeling in the back of my mouth. It was from bottle but like other's I'd assumed a bad batch....

Worst beer ever I made the mistake of buying a pint of this had a sip thought this tastes strange had a couple more sips and gave it back to the bar tender to pour down the drain he did warn me it tasted strange

If you gave me a choice of Big Helga :icon_vomit: or Emu Export :icon_vomit: I would go the red can :icon_vomit:

This thread is very strange.

All the Big Helga I've tried in Melbourne (where it's brewed actually in our outer suburbs - at the Garage Brewery in Dandenong) has tasted clean, not sour at all and has a very subtle, mild American style hop character. There seems to be a real inconsistency with the fresh stuff we're getting here in Vic vs the 'rough' and 'sour' beer being drunk in places like WA & QLD? Could be handling, low turnover, old kegs or maybe some of the batches of late have been crapola? Weird one. Could this be another Matilda Bay repeat of the the infamous 'Sebastian' episode? (A notorious Dunkelweizen beer that was ok in first weeks then went south all around the country?).

The stuff I had at Microbrewers showcase was magnificent. But was quite a different beer - being unpasteurised (not heat treated) so the hop character really came through. Have tried it on tap elsewhere in Melbourne without issue. The commercial one is very low on hop, but it's still subtly there.

Hopper.

Tried a six pack, very ordinary.

Dry and rather tasteless. I can see this product line being scrapped in the near future :lol:

They had it on for tasting at Dan's a few months back. Glad I got to try before I bought it.
Nothing to write home about.

Tried one at the Local Sporties club. It was really good. Quite different than the usual swill they sell there. Intersting malt character and a touch sweet. Tried another one there a few weeks later and it was absolute garbage! I asked bar tender what happened and he confirmed this was the 2nd keg of the stuff. It was a dud and tasted like a really bad kit brew. (trust me i know that flavour I've made my fair share of them!)

Needless to say they have binned it and swapped the tap for Fat Yak. (which i must add is alot less hoppy than when i first tried it!)

Dylo

I bought a bottle of it a while ago. not unimpressed but certainly far from impressed. Lacking flavour of any form, would have rated an over cold West End Draught as having more flavour from hops and malt than Big Helga. Won't buy it again.

Latest posts

Back