Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick note.....Is there two Swampy members?
I am a Swampy but cant remember posting in here.

Um yes there must be two, cause I am Swampy.
I joined August 2010.
I have been active on this post, trying to get my hands on one of Mathos controllers

This thread shows the generosity and community-mindedness that exists among home brewers in this country. Excuse the naive question, but could your controller work in conjunction with a birko urn and its element? Would that just be a matter of rewiring the element? Thanks.

This thread shows the generosity and community-mindedness that exists among home brewers in this country. Excuse the naive question, but could your controller work in conjunction with a birko urn and its element? Would that just be a matter of rewiring the element? Thanks.

It could work but you would have to bypass the thermostat because that could get in the way, then again if you can turn it up to 110 then it should be fine

cheers steve

It could work but you would have to bypass the thermostat because that could get in the way, then again if you can turn it up to 110 then it should be fine

Great, thanks for that matho. I have begun to plan a project inspired by your Braumiser and ArnieW's BrauBushka. If you are still wondering about making up to 40 of your controllers available I'd love to be put on the end of the list. Let me know? Your controller would be the best starting point I can think of for the build. Cheers :)

Great, thanks for that matho. I have begun to plan a project inspired by your Braumiser and ArnieW's BrauBushka. If you are still wondering about making up to 40 of your controllers available I'd love to be put on the end of the list. Let me know? Your controller would be the best starting point I can think of for the build. Cheers :)

not a problem notung, last spot, but thats it the list is full.

I have completed the box build instructions so here it is

View attachment brauduino_controller_build1.pdf

The first 10 should expect a PM from me by tomorrow afternoon at the latest, telling them payment details and asking them their postage address's

cheers steve

Hey Matho,
Looks great. I am going to use 24v pumps so I will need an extra IEC supply , right?
Do I also need an extra SSR for it as well?
Cheers
Matt

Swampy,

IEC connectors are just plugs and sockets like you get on computer power leads, the 2 pin connector that I suggested (PS2014/PP2013) will be fine for 24V.

The problem is the 24v power supply, the absolute voltage limit for an arduino uno is 20v and the relay that I used is rated to 12v so what this means is you are going to have to get a 12v supply as well as a 24v supply. There are ways of getting 12v from 24v, like using a voltage regulator like LM7812 but that would require a few parts soldered to a prototyping board

here is the Datasheet for the LM78XX series

using one of these in wired up like fig. 10 on page 23 of the datasheet between the 24v power supply and the brauduino board would work.

As for the SSR you could get a 40A SSR instead of a 25A one and get a heatsink with a thermal rating of 2.2deg/w or lower , for a 15 amp load that would keep the temperature rise on the heat sink to about 50 deg above ambient which means on a 30deg day the heatsink will get to 80 deg so it will be hot to touch but won't damage the box or SSR. You will also need 15amp rated IEC power sockets too instead of the 10amp ones I spec'd

cheers steve

Damn not in the top 10
O-well Looking forward to the next round of kits.

Swampy,

IEC connectors are just plugs and sockets like you get on computer power leads, the 2 pin connector that I suggested (PS2014/PP2013) will be fine for 24V.

The problem is the 24v power supply, the absolute voltage limit for an arduino uno is 20v and the relay that I used is rated to 12v so what this means is you are going to have to get a 12v supply as well as a 24v supply. There are ways of getting 12v from 24v, like using a voltage regulator like LM7812 but that would require a few parts soldered to a prototyping board

here is the Datasheet for the LM78XX series

using one of these in wired up like fig. 10 on page 23 of the datasheet between the 24v power supply and the brauduino board would work.

As for the SSR you could get a 40A SSR instead of a 25A one and get a heatsink with a thermal rating of 2.2deg/w or lower , for a 15 amp load that would keep the temperature rise on the heat sink to about 50 deg above ambient which means on a 30deg day the heatsink will get to 80 deg so it will be hot to touch but won't damage the box or SSR. You will also need 15amp rated IEC power sockets too instead of the 10amp ones I spec'd

cheers steve
Thanks Matho
Can't wait to get mine, good luck with the next 30!

1x bonjuino left

PM sent to Bonj re: future bonjuinos. Cheers!

Yeah I'll take that Bonj If I got in fast enough.

Cheers
Tristan
Yeah mate, you made it.

NO BONJUINOS LEFT... STILL WAITING ON SHIPMENT FOR rv2 PARTS.

Hi Matho just wondering if I am on the list for the next lot or any upcoming lots.
Cheers

Hi Matho just wondering if I am on the list for the next lot or any upcoming lots.
Cheers

hey reg your at 26 so its the next lot, I'm going to order the PCB's as soon as the first 10 are sold which shouldn't be long, that takes about 20 day to get and all the rest of the stuff takes a shorter time, sorry for how long it is taking I would have like it to be quicker but finding the time is difficult.

cheers steve

hey reg your at 26 so its the next lot, I'm going to order the PCB's as soon as the first 10 are sold which shouldn't be long, that takes about 20 day to get and all the rest of the stuff takes a shorter time, sorry for how long it is taking I would have like it to be quicker but finding the time is difficult.

cheers steve
No Problems Steve.
Just wanting to make sure I was on the list.
Thank you

Back