Massive Winery Explosion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkFaerytale

Fuggle Abuse
Reaction score
from here http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=367983

A witness to an explosion in at a Hunter Valley Vineyard that killed two people this morning says one survivor was blown 20m through the air before running burning into a lake.

An ambulance spokeswoman has confirmed that two people are dead after the explosion at Drayton's Winery in the NSW vineyard region of Pokolbin.

Damien Griffith, owner of a cafe near the winery, said he heard a massive explosion at around 8.15am this morning.

"I could see a big line of fire coming out of Drayton's. It looked like a gas line had blown up. There was one big line of flame," he said.

Mr Griffith immediately drove to Drayton's, where he saw the front of the building that housed the winery's cellar door had partially collapsed.

"You could see liquid flames dripping out of the gutters. It was intense."

He then spoke to a severely injured man who said he had been caught in the explosion.

"The guy said he ran down on fire and jumped into a dam. His face had been burned he had skin hanging off his face and off his arms," Mr Griffith said.

"[The man] said he was blown 20m through the air. People said they saw him run burning into the dam."

"It was rather full on I'm fine but I really do feel for the people."

The identity of the two dead people has not been confirmed, but Mr Griffith said fears were held for one of the owners of the winery, Trevor Drayton.

A 27-year-old man who received burns to 80 percent of his body was airlifted to hospital in a helicopter. It is not clear whether this was the same man who Mr Griffith spoke to.

"Looking around and you look at damage in trees around the place from what was obviously a shockwave of some sort from the explosion I think it's probably very lucky that it happened early," Rural Fire Service Superintendent Jason McKellar told Macquarie Radio.

"I don't know if there's picnic areas around, the area's taken up with fire trucks at the moment, but I suppose ... it's certainly (fortuitous) it was early in the morning."

Supt McKellar confirmed two bodies had been found in the cellar door area of the winery.

Hazardous materials had kept fire crews from entering the building, which had been almost totally destroyed by fire, Supt McKellar said.

welding a spirit tank will do that!

It is not good, wineies are dangerous places.

Lord how! Those poor people... and all that alcohol! :(

I know a few guys on here work in winerys there.. hope they are safe.. :(

Sounds nasty. Well wishes to the families.

Which Drayton winery is it ? Robyn or Draytons ?
I love Robyn's White Port.

Doc

R.I.P :lighter:

horibble accident.

Sounds nasty. Well wishes to the families.

Which Drayton winery is it ? Robyn or Draytons ?
I love Robyn's White Port.

Doc

Latest news says its Draytons. One of those killed was Trevor Dreyton the owner.

Cheers
Dave

I'm assuming the cellar door was still closed at the time. Casualties could've been a lot higher.
my thoughts go out to those affected by this tragedy.

I'm assuming the cellar door was still closed at the time. Casualties could've been a lot higher.
my thoughts go out to those affected by this tragedy.

yep, the explosion was at 8.30am apparently. luckily there were no tourists / visitors.

Horrible, and the Drayton's seem to have attracted more than their share of bad luck.
I believe one of the Drayton's was killed in a car accident also about 10 years ago?
Must say that I have enjoyed quite a few of their products over the years.

Horrible, and the Drayton's seem to have attracted more than their share of bad luck.
I believe one of the Drayton's was killed in a car accident also about 10 years ago?
Must say that I have enjoyed quite a few of their products over the years.

Reg and Mrs Drayton were killed in a plane accident on the way to Lord Howe Island some years back, there are photos in the Robyn Drayton winery complex.

The explosion was in the Family winery up the road on the straight, not the one on the corner, Robyn's. It's renowned for their fortified wines, of which I am a huge personal fan. I have the refillable 10 litre container under my bar :) We give their muscats a major nudge in winter particularly when we often go up and get a refill.

It is terribly sad, they are all great people there, very natural friendly and knowledgeable unlike some of the wallies at the likes of Tempus Two etc which I now avoid like the plague. Cheerz Wab

Latest posts

Back